Measure hardness with tensile test?

Newbies_Kid

I've a problem here, my boss need me to measure the hardness of a piece of copper strip, but we didn't have any hardness test machine (vickers, durometer, brinell etc) to do that. But we do have a tensile machine. Can i do something with the tensile test to measure hardness?

Your help is really appreciated :)

I have never heard of a tensile test machine being used to check hardness. You would do well to send a sample to a metallurgical test facility for the test. Around here it would not be expensive (<$100 US) for a simple hardness check. I imagine any correlation between hardness and tensile strength would be very inaccurate.

Yeah i know that we can't get a read from tensile machine for hardness. I explained to my boss and he understand. But he said that if the material is hard, the material will elongate before failed during the tensile test. So one question come in my mind, are ductile material conform to be hard and brittle material must all be soft?

• 1 year later...