Polar molecule

Primarygun

Hello, everyone. I am learning the polarity of compound.

Carbon dioxide is a non-polar molecule. I know the linear structure.

Is it because when the electrons are pulled by the oxygen atom, the carbon atom has 4 positive charges and two oxygen atoms get 2 negative charge, so the oxygen atoms move towards to the central atom and the distance of the pulled electrons have equal distance with the oxygen atom and carbon atom? :confused: What will the situation if the AX the A atom have 2 positive charge, and the X got 2 negative charge, does the speed of reacting (they form covalent bond)faster than when A and X are neutral respectively?

Moreover, what is the entire different between covalent and metallic bond?

Is magnitude of the electronegativity?

Na - Na Cl - Cl

As you see, the electron is at the central of the molecules.

The electrostatics force of both two sodium atoms should be the same, then

What way does the electron move?

The oxygens in CO2 are both slightly negative (more electrons are near them), and the carbon slightly positive. So if you think of a carbon dioxide as being like O-C-O then the charge will be -+-. Both ends of the molecule are slightly negatively charged, so it is nonpolar.

Na and Cl in a solution will dissociate into ions, they will simply be little bundles of either positive and negative.

the bonds in [math]CO_2[/math] are polar because there is a difference in the electronegativities of C and O. since these two polar bonds have been made and the compound is linear, there are no opposite sides holding opposite charges. the covalent radius of carbon when double bonded to oxygen is 123pm. that's close when compared to other bonds. yes, the distance between carbon and oxygen when bonded is lesser than when they are not bonded.

1.Is that when bonding, the electrons are first coming to the oxygen atoms.

2.The oxygens are attracted by the positive charge carbon "ion"(seemed to be ion)

3.The carbon "ion" can't move to the oxygen "ions" because they are both pulling it.

4.Then dramatically, the distance of the shared electrons between the oxygen atom and a carbon atom is the same. So that's a non-polar covalent bond.

Is that because force occur in speed of light, so the 4 STEPS occur in the same time?

I really want to know whether this concept is wrong?

Please kind to tell me! :P

1.Is that when bonding' date=' the electrons are first coming to the oxygen atoms.

2.The oxygens are attracted by the positive charge carbon "ion"(seemed to be ion)

3.The carbon "ion" can't move to the oxygen "ions" because they are both pulling it.

4.Then dramatically, the distance of the shared electrons between the oxygen atom and a carbon atom is the same. So that's a non-polar covalent bond.

Is that because force occur in speed of light, so the 4 STEPS occur in the same time?

I really want to know whether this concept is wrong?

Please kind to tell me! :P[/quote']

Yep, it's wrong.

Each C=O bond in CO2 is polar (so the electrons are nearer the oxygen nucleus), however, as the C=O are opposite each other in a linear fashion O=C=O the polarity of each of the bonds it equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction, so the overall polar moment (amount of polarity - sic) of the molecule is zero.

2- 4+ 2-? Is it?

I'm still confused. Maybe I need to find another deeply chemistry book than my current one.

"...pull the central atom"

So I think the "the distance of the shared electrons between the oxygen atom and a carbon atom is the same. So that's a non-polar covalent bond.

"

2- 4+ 2-? Is it?

I'm still confused. Maybe I need to find another deeply chemistry book than my current one.

"...pull the central atom"

So I think the "the distance of the shared electrons between the oxygen atom and a carbon atom is the same. So that's a non-polar covalent bond.

"

The bond lengths are the same, but in both C=O bonds the bonding electron density maximum is shifted towards the oxygens. The overall molecule is non-polar, but the individual C=O bonds are polar. Oxygen is more electronegative than Carbon so it will pull electrons towards it. It is a mistake to try and use oxidation numbers to predict the effect of electronegativity (which is an effect of the charge denisty of the nucleus).