NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) absorbtion / adsorbtion

splodman

Please consider the following:

I have a small container of air (approx. 10 ml) and a source that is creating nitrogen dioxide by combining the oxygen and nitrogen in the container.

I would like to find (and have been searching for) a means to absorb/adsorb the NO2 using, preferably, a replaceable dry filter.

There is no air flow as such, in theory all of the oxygen would be combined with the nitrogen eventually leaving no oxygen. I'm not sure of the rate at which the NO2 is created, it gets to 200ppm in a few seconds.

I have looked at activated carbon, soda lime and zeolite - the activated carbon has been reasonable - but if anyone has any ideas for a better option...

I might give that a go to see the effect - but the tube can get very warm (which I forgot to mention, sorry) and that would evaporate the water. There may be a cool spot a filter could sit in.

I have also seen that ascorbic acid (AH2) will absorb NO2, but again most results appear to be when it is in solution.

Can you not try another method of preparing [ce]NO2[/ce]?

you can just add nitric acid to the container and let it stand for sometime.

It decomposes into nitrogen dioxide and Oxygen, and the nitrogen dioxide dissolves again in nitric acid. the process the repeats

Thanks for the responses physicsfan.

I probably didn't explain that the NO2 production is a side effect of a glow discharge and I just want to get rid of the NO2. I'm not sure I want to add nitric acid into the equation, I'm perhaps looking for something a whole lot more passive hence considering dry absorbing/adsorbing.

That's an interesting one. Do you think it would readily react with the no2 in its solid form, or would a solution soaked into paper be better?

Thanks for all the input, it's helping a lot.

I think an aqueous solution of [ce]NaOH[/ce] would be better, because [ce]NaNO2[/ce]

and [ce]NaNO3[/ce] are soluble in water.

I'm not sure about the speed of the reaction, but i think reaction of [ce]NO2[/ce] with aqueous solution of [ce]NaOH[/ce] would be fast because [ce]NO2[/ce] is soluble in water.

Edited by Physicsfan