Affect of NOx (NO2, nitrogen dioxide) on the skin or ear

I would be interested on anyones opinion or guidance on the following:

I have created a device that is connected to the ear. As a side effect of its design, the device creates nitrogen dioxide (NO2, and probably NO/NO3 so NOx). The NOx is not emitted into the atmosphere to be breathed it is trapped in a capsule sealed by the ear and exposes the outer ear to what would be considered fairly high concentrations (>200ppm) of the gas. The device may be used for several hours at a time.

I have attempted as much research as I can to find any scientific tests or papers on the affect of NOx on the skin or ear. Of course there are many on the affects on the lungs and breathing the gas but I can find no clues as to what problems it may cause to the ear (no great surprise as it is an unusual application).

Hopefully I'm posting in the right area, it is the biology of this I am most interested in and don't want to be causing minor irritation let alone things like cancers or hearing damage with the device. Thanks in advance for any input, it's my first post...

Have you checked the MSDS safety data? You probably have consulted similar as that would be the logical first port of call, but from what it says, you would be able to draw a logical conclusion from that depending on how the gas is stored. i.e. if it was in contact with the skin, it would be pretty mad as e.g. NO and N02 are corrosive. Especially as 200ppm is an insanely high concentration.

Thanks, that was quick.

I had gone through that data before and just had another look. Unfortunately most of the corrosive skin contact and eye contact details are about NO2 in liquid form, which is still a long way from it in gas form even in the higher concentrations I am looking at.

It is unclear whether it is talking about the liquid or gas at one point when it mentions it is corrosive - but personal experience suggests it is not being corrosive at these levels. Everything still seems to point to respiritory problems.

Thanks again for the quick pointer.

Yes, I think it probably does get a little irritating although I'm not sure if that is just the weight of it, how uncomfortable it is, the elevated temperatures or the high voltage. A little irritation may be acceptable if I was sure there was no long term damage.

I'll still try and keep you guessing.>:D

I might post this bit in the physics sections, but as a follow up does anyone know of a good way of absorbing (or adsorbing) high levels of NO2 with an almost non existent flow rate? I'm looking at activated carbon, zeolite, soda lime...