Advantages and Disadvantages of adrenaline

Guest sciencemad09

Guest sciencemad09

I am doing a project on the advantages and disadvantages of adrenaline, and cant find much info, so could you please post some links or some info for me

Adrenaline is a hormone naturally produced in an organ whose name I certainly cannot translate to english (look it up) which is spread though the body by the blood circuit. Effects are mostly what you´d expect of it: Increased heartbeat, increased breathing, widening of coronar veins (to support the increased heartbeat with the sufficient energy), widening of the bronchia (sry, didn´t know the english word for "Bronchien"), contration of peripheral veins and reduced peristaltis.

Medical applications that I know of are (name of the drug is "suprarenin", at least in germany):

- It´s the most common drug used in reanimations (because of the increased heart activity I´d think).

- Can be used as a last resort (just before cutting the throat which noone would do these days except in movies) in case of allergic reactions that result in the patient being unable to breathe anymore. I think that´s because the widening of the bronchia and the reduced blood flow through peripheral veins counters the effect of the swelling.

Problems I´d see:

- Increasing heart activity over a point where the heart is unable to cope with it might result in cardial arrythmics and in the worst case to the heart failing to work.

- Extreme narrowing of the peripheral veins over a longer period of time might result in peripheral areas (fingers) to have insufficient supply of oxygen. Dying off of these areas might be an effect.

- Reduced peristaltis over a longer period of time might be uncomfortable, at least. Not sure if that case ever appears in a clinically relevant form.

Sry if my english is bad. I´m not used to use english medical terms. Also, above is only what I recall from having worked as an amulance driver (that´s a two month education, so hey: What do you expect?!) some years ago. A physican or biologist will probably know better.