A systems view of identity?

I am fleshing out an idea I have of using a systems view of identity to create a model to assist clinicians in assessing and formulating treatment plans and goals for clients whose problems seem to stem from lack of identity breadth.

I wonder if anyone here has ever come across any literature that looks at identity as a system and/or takes a systems view in the treatment of individuals rather than couples or families. I am having trouble finding relavent research material and wonder if I am perhaps not using the correct search terms or looking in the wrong places (via the journal databases-- proquest annd ebsco-- at my grad library).

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

alternately, or in addition, I would love to know if any of you have an opinion about the usefulness and/or workability of doing a research project that looks at identity as a system and attempts to begin identifying ways in which to assess the breadth and depth of the subsystem and domain development in order to conceptualize and formulate treatment plans.

My general hypothesis is that some people, for varying reasons, have not developed their identity sufficiently and therefore suffer from identity instability and maladaptive dependencies. The specific hypothesis I would like to work with for the first part of this is that some women who are exceptionally beautiful and/or very focused on their appearance exhibit a narrowed range of identity development in comparison to the general public.

I'd love any thoughts, opinions, or lit review ideas anyone might have on this subject.

Thanks