clinical depression

"Major depressive disorder (also known as clinical depression, major depression, unipolar depression, or unipolar disorder) is a mental disorder characterized by an all-encompassing low mood accompanied by low self-esteem, and loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities."

There is a Wikipedia page about it here if you wish to learn more about it.

For a 5th grader you do have an varied mix of scientific interests, much as I did at your age; I wanted to learn more about everything, and still do. It's a great thing that you show such interest.

Do bear in mind though, that this is a scientific discussion forum. So think carefully before posting and maybe consider the following criteria:

Is my post my own work?

i.e. not something I've copied, or just a link to another page

Is my post something which others may not have thought of?

Using a search engine such as Google is something we can al do. Posting search results doesn't envoke scientific discussion.

Is my post researched?

If you make a claim, it helps to back it up somehow.

Is my post a question?

Posting a statement which people are already aware of is unlikely to produce much discussion

Is my post of interest to others in the scientific community?

You may have something on your mind which to you may be interesting, but doesn't provoke much scientific or intellectual discussion

Is my post a hypothesis?

If it is, others may refute it, so you may have to change your hypothesis

Am I prepared to be proven wrong?

it may be that a notion you had about something is proven wrong or incomplete. being proven to be wrong can be as educationally valuable as being proven right.

keep reading and learning :)

Edited by tomgwyther