Hardy-Weinberg Problem -- Please Help!

Ergo Proxy

Hi, I would really appreciate someone helping me out with this problem or at least showing me how to go about calculating it. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q) Suppose there is a gene with two alleles D and d in Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium. Further suppose the d allele has a frequency of 0.4 and causes trait Y in a recessive fashion.

a) What is the prevalence of individuals without trait Y?

b) What is the probability that two individuals with trait Y will mate (given the assumptions of Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium hold)?

c) What is the probability that an offspring of the above mating will not have trait Y?

d) Suppose two individuals – who do not have trait Y themselves but both have offspring from previous marriages that do have the trait – mate and have 2 children. What is the probability that both children have trait Y?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) that mean those which are not double recessive, and you got the allele frequency for d, you should be able to calculate that.

b and c should be figured out once you got a).

d) so you need to know the genotype of the parents.