Vote on Icefire's definition 3/15 - 3/22

The Bear's Key

How well Icefire did on the following categories?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How well Icefire did on the following categories?

• Accuracy/longevity: (2)
    • Accuracy/longevity: (3)
    • Accuracy/longevity: (4)
    • Accuracy/longevity: (5)
    • Standalone: (2)
    • Standalone: (3)
    • Standalone: (4)
    • Standalone: (5)
    • Brief/challenging: (2)
    • Brief/challenging: (3)
    • Brief/challenging: (4)
    • Brief/challenging: (5)
    • Obvious: (2)
    • Obvious: (3)
    • Obvious: (4)

There's not enough room to put four vote options on the last category, so if you want to vote a "5" for it, just pick both "3" and "2" :)

Also (since there wasn't room), I left out the choice for voting a "1". So if you think it's worth a "1", simply don't vote for a category and it'll be worth a "1".

Entry #2.

Photon...

A minute body of mass that maintains its velocity and a constant rate of periodic motion. When it collides with a mass it will be either absorbed, reflected, or pass through the object with an altered velocity depending on the form of the mass.

The criteria explained.

Accuracy/longevity. Definition is universal, and timeless, covering any future scenarios we imagine today.

Standalone. It avoided using the word's synonym, antonym, or thesaurus friends. i.e. a) an emotion wasn't defined using a substitute feeling or very related word; b) "hot" wasn't defined as a lack of cold.

Also didn't need cheap partner or reference words. i.e. to define "alphabet" it didn't use "letters" or "symbols"; to define "language" it didn't use "words" or "communication".

Brief/challenging.

a) Shorter than 50 words, but not too short. -1 point for each 10 words over 40.

b) It's also pretty challenging to define in words. i.e. an experience.

Obvious. The definition is clearly for the word "___", it'll rarely get confused for another word.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Icefire's entry...

Accuracy/longevity. (2) The mass part inaccurate, yet it does have a bit of potential for a universal definition.

Standalone. (4) Almost, but it used "constant rate" which sort of gives it away.

Brief/challenging. (4) Less than 50 words, although it was fairly close to the 50 words -- but it's definitely challenging, though I didn't subtract points for the "constant rate" bit.

Obvious. (3) Good except for the mass a photon doesn't have. :)

Total = 13 (of 20) Nice.

I'm probably going to move "challenging" over with "standalone" before the next entry.

Continue voting.

Edited by The Bear's Key
Consecutive posts merged.