Need my son's study guide completed for PAY.

amtrak

I was recently laid off and can no longer afford the $50 an hour tutor for my Son with ADD in his Science Foundations class, and am now going to be trying to help him myself. I don't have much time to finish this stuff however since I'm now working a lower paying job longer hours, etc.

I've attached what I need to help him where here on the Forum, and I will PayPal you $20 if you can finish this by this weekend!

I'm sure some of you folks would actually enjoy this!! :cool:

Just send me a private message and I will respond promptly...

Thank you and have a great weekend everyone,

Robert Holloway

Bakersfield, CA

Study Guide 2.doc

These are some fairly basic questions, albeit over a wide range of topics. The point of a study guide is not to memorize the answers to those specific questions, but to know how to answer that sort of question. Ideally, your son should be able to answer these, or at least know how to look up the topics he is unfamiliar with. Failing that, it would be better to have your son answer the ones he can, and then ask for explanations, not just answers, to the rest.

Science is far from his forte... He really learns best buy just cramming this stuff in.

He's got a D/F now, so we just need a C!

Please let me know if someone can do this. Thank you!

Best regards.

Edited by amtrak

Robert, as much as many of us would appreciate a pay, we would much rather walk your son through the exercises through the forum. It will also help him understand the material better.

We do this a lot in our homework section, and you can think of it as a sort of tutoring with no pay. We aren't here 24/7, so answers might take longer than with an "instant" tutor, but we do help out, specially when we see the student trying to solve things for themselves.

Try to be a bit more specific as to where your son struggles with the material, maybe? I know he has ADD and it makes it hard for him to concentrate, but the benefit of a forum is to walk him through it on his pace. He can also join us in the chatroom (click on 'chat' above), though, I must warn, the chatroom is often home to our "idle" members, is more for a 'fun' passing of time. We are there to help but not 24/7 so try not to get frustrated if you don't get immediate answers.

Posting through the forum will be much more helpful, and will also comply with our rules.

It will likely help your son much more than us solving the problems for him, specially with the lack of a tutor to walk him through the problems using his style of learning.

If he just wants to cram the subject, he can look things up online; out of experience (I am tutoring myself, and I have had a student with ADD) this type of cramming isn't enough. The student needs to first understand what he's doing, and then 'cram' as many problems as possible to 'bring it home'. Understanding the stuff is key, though, and that will be best achieved if he just sits down and sees where he gets stuck.

Who knows, he might even get a B ;)

~moo

amtrak, two things:

1. Seriously and honestly, it would defy the point. Your son can get these answers online with a simple google search. That will not help him succeed in the upcoming exam.

2. That is slightly against our rules. We do not 'spoon-feed' answers; the answers are available online, we're here to help people make sense of *how* to solve them, how to look for them, and how to deal with them.

If you're pressed for time, save your money (*really*, you don't need to pay for this, it's a google search away), and sit with your son (or without) and look the answers up on google. Within 20 minutes, you'll have all the answers.

The first step to making sure he succeeds in the actual exam, though (where the questions will be different, and so he will need to know how to solve them and not just spit out the answers to this sheet), is to make sure he *understands* them.

Kids with ADD have problems concentrating and sitting still, but they're smart. He can do it, it's just a matter of sitting down and trying, finding the ways that help him handle it. We can help, but giving you final answers is not help (and it's not something we do).

You're welcome to stay and have us help out. There is always someone to answer questions, and your son can start by asking the firt few questions he got stuck on *today* so he can get answers before the end of the weekend.

~moo

If it wasn't clear, this is against our rules.

amtrak, I don't see why you wouldn't want to save your 20 dollars and plug each and every question into google, which is what I am going to do for you for pay.

We'd love to comply with the rules of the forum and help you; just so you know, we usually delete those posts for spam. We really want to help, so I left this post as-is, but please stop requesting people disobey our rules.

~moo

Look, rather than provide the answers to every single question there, we can do much better. Why don't you have your son ask about the specific questions that he cannot answer? We can give not only the answers, but an explanation, and can also guide him in finding the answer himself. That is what he will need for tests, not just this one, but all of them: to know how to solve problems. And in real life he will need to know how to find answers. You are making it too easy for him to find answers artificially, but that won't help him learn. It might help him do better on this particular test, but future tests will be based on past knowledge he is expected to have learned. He will only become more dependent on spoon-fed answers the longer you let him do this and the more advanced tests become. And at some point the spoon-fed answers just won't be good enough.

PS: One way to retain attention is to take notes. Dunno if this is applicable to his school, but it would help.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

For the first question, these are simple definitions. Those are really easy to do. Here are the answers:

deep time

relativistic time

uniformitarianism

parent isotope

daughter isotope