cursor jumps randomly

symondneil

Hi,

when I am typing in MS word or MS outlook Express my cursor will all of a sudden jump to various locations in the document. sometime it will jump to the same spot when it does jump and other times it will jump all over. I have to then make corrections to the doc and bring the cursor back to where it was before it jumped and continue on. it is very random when it jumps, you can not predict that it will jump after typing so many characters or specific characters or to where it will jump. am using windows xp home premium on a dell xps laptop.

Make sure your hands aren't resting on the trackpad. Whenever my mom tries to type on a laptop, her wrists hit the trackpad and she ends up clicking all over and typing in the wrong places.

If that's the case, and you can't get out of the habit of putting your wrists in the wrong place, there's probably a mouse setting to require you to actually press the mouse button to click, rather than just tapping.

yeah i do that all the time, cause i dont use my thumbs to type, never got on... well infact, i only use my index and middle finger on each hand to type, but i still type as fast as someone who is touch typing... go figure, its amazing what you can learn if you force your mind to do it.

anyway, i always find myself tapping what is an oversensetive trackpad with my thumb and moving the cursor, so i downloaded the proper synaptics driver and i reset for lower sensetivity.

you may try it. contact dell for the correct driver... or if you feel competent enough, go google it... synaptics... they make pretty much all touchpads... trademarked or something.

• 2 weeks later...