any good suggestions on IT program?

M8

hi, I'm doing my master of bioinformatics right now, but gradually i found that I became more interested in the computer or the IT part rather than the bio part. and i think the computer science kind of fits me so I am considering a PhD degree on the computer science or IT right now.

but i was not majored in computer related subject when in university, so I want some information about the computer science or IT area in terms of its future, subjects and some suggestions on schools. I know i can google it but still your experiences are very valuable to me! thanks!

by the way what i've done most are language programing with Perl.

Are you saying that your present Masters program is in biology? That's interesting, I didn't know that there were post-graduate programs on bioinformatics that were not part of IT/CS programs. Makes sense, though -- what do us computer nerds know about saliva, other than the fact that it comes out of our mouths when we stare a pictures of Jessica Alba? (grin)

In answer to your question, Computer Science would be the most rigorous choice and if you can handle the math and you have some experience with programming then I think most people would call that your best option. Information Technology is considered less demanding, but is certainly an important field and becoming more so each year. As computer technology has matured, CS seems to be becoming more of a research and theory degree with IT (and related degree programs) taking up the engineering side of things. But I think it's still generally the case that the CS degree-holders have the widest career path, and typically take up the most challenging programming tasks.

Put another way, at a lower level, IT degree holders are managers, consultants, server admins, and "routine" programmers writing client-server systems using well-understood methods. CS degree holders write the big games and software titles, writing code that tests new ideas and theories, and they still have the option of management, consulting, etc. It's a bit of a pyramid with the CS folks on top.

In terms of schools I've no idea where you live so I wouldn't even begin to know what to suggest. We have folks in this forum from all over the world. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, it's basically a question of theory versus applied, much as it is with the other sciences. The Wikipedia has a good article that breaks down the areas of applied CS here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science#Applied_Computer_Science

That graphic lists the different fields of study in a very appropriate way, but when you look at degree programs they tend to be listed by a more interpreted kind of name. My graduate alma mater has separate, distinct programs for "Computer Science", "Information Technology", "Information Systems", "Computer Information Systems" (my Masters was this), "Information Security", and a few spin-offs in the field of education. Pinning down a professor or dean over there on the distinctions between "Computer Information Systems" and "Information Systems" can be pretty amusing, and my own analysis based on the dissertations and entrance requirements suggests that the only distinction is that the three-word version is more stringent. But hey, I guess that's what works for them. I took an Information Security class at the PhD level last year that had over 50 people in it, half of whom worked for Homeland Security, one of the intelligence agencies, or one of the major defense contractors, so they must be doing something right.

The main distinction seems to be that Computer Science programs are more scientifically and mathematically rigorous. These are the system-level programmers, the writers of operating systems, device drivers, big-money games and so forth. IT/CIS learners focus on becoming developers and managers of information, and if they become programmers they tend to work in "managed" code environments (Java, .NET, etc), where most of the groundwork is done and your code focuses on what you need to get your task done. Most of that work is business-related client-server work (basically tapping databases for storage and retrieval).

But there is a legitimate doctoral level for these "lesser" fields, and it is growing, and in most cases it is more popular (and the jobs are more in demand) than CS. Managing information is a critical business function for any business or (increasingly) government. Securing that information is also critical. Doctoral researchers in these fields look at efficiency and process. They're going to recommend a new method, not a new algorithm. (I am of the personal opinion that the greatest potential for growth and development in all of the computer sciences is in the efficient and effective reporting on collected data.)

Which is not to say that a CS researcher can't earn the big bucks in applied computer technologies. On the contrary, they're at the top of the pyramid and command the high ground of just about any subject they care to touch. Since CS researchers are not just the big dogs, but are often also the smartest researchers, they're often able to pick up applied methodologies quickly and then apply new insight into them. Which is why the general advice remains "go for CS... if you can". But don't be afraid to fall back on one of the "easier" fields, which may also have a lot to offer.

Good luck!

Edited by Pangloss

So you are currently studying at bio informatics? but you find computer science that will fits you.. Well, its your choice...What ever you like and which you are comfortably with it. So go with the goal! By the way I'm 2nd yr IT, as far as i know.. IT and Comsci was quite related..Did you like programming? In that field, its more bout programing any kind of languages..Do you think its easy for you? well, Good luck to u..^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of good places to start for more in-depth information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_security

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_information_technology_topics

I'd dive into those and then of course feel free to ask questions.