TV went a bit funny on half of the screen.

insane_alien

Hey, this isn't strictly computer help but i figure its close enough.

The main TV is a phillips(can't remember the exact model number, i can get it but my dads watchingsome david attenborough programme on it just now so i'll get shouted at if i check just now) but it developed a problem a few months ago, on the right half of the screen, the red pixels do not go to full brightness(or at least not all the time).

its actually a bit complicated, i tried this out with my laptop, if you set the red value to 254 then the screen is equally bright all over. if you up the red to 255 the left half doesn't seem to change which is pretty much expected, but the right side gets dimmer. about where it is at about 200.

i have no idea what causes it.

on a very likely related note, when the tv is powered on, a small dialog bog comes up(it's blue-grey) but it fades to black over to the right hand side. it shouldn't do this.

i've tried googling around but i only get sites selling the tv. any help appreciated.

What kind of TV is it?

Is it a cathode ray tube, Plasma or LCD.

My only guess is that, if it's a CRT screen there's a magnetic field near one side of the screen, possibly from a loudspeaker. Either that or one of the four electromagnets at the back of the tube is defective.