Rainfall Modeling Software Question

engineerjoe

Hello,

I am looking for some freeware that would allow me to take a scanned topography map and run a hydrolgy analysis. I would like to simulate a rainfall to see where the runoff accumulates. I have no budget for this which is why I am asking for freeware advice. I know the answer might be a complicated process involving several small programs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hello,

I am looking for some freeware that would allow me to take a scanned topography map and run a hydrolgy analysis. I would like to simulate a rainfall to see where the runoff accumulates. I have no budget for this which is why I am asking for freeware advice. I know the answer might be a complicated process involving several small programs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

good luck. i've never heard of such a program.

Why don't you write it yourself?

You have to do the most work yourself anyway: input the data. The data will be a matrix of altitude numbers.

then you need to calculate the gradient in your map (difference between numbers) and you need to find local and global minimum locations.

Locally, the water will choose the steepest gradients, and it will accumulate in the minimum locations.

I've never heard of such a program... but just start with a simple matrix with only a few numbers.

Any programming language should be able to do this - personally I'd go for Matlab / Octave. Write the .m file and run it.