Your opinions needed.

sjjk1927

Ok, for my Science in society coursework we he have been asked to read a book on science.

This could be fiction or non-fiction.

The book i am currently reading is called:

"Beggars in Spain" by Nancy Kress (fiction).

In this book it goes over the story of a group of children called "Sleepless".

The Sleepless whilst in the womb were genetically modified to have the ability to not need any form of sleep. The book goes into the children having higher intelligence than ordinary children and most adults.

This book has made me want to know more about this kind of genetic testing.

So i want to ask you all:

What would your opinion be on having your children genetically modified to not need any sleep?

Footnote: opinions may be quoted with coursework. But i can assure you that no names will be used in my coursework.

You state that the children, in addition to not needing sleep also became more intelligent. But does the book state any downside to this? After all, we really do not know why we sleep, except that we do. As such, there is probably a good reason for this, though we don't know what it is. The presumption of course, is that the genetic modification addressed at least the major issues, but without several million years of evolution to work out the kinks with a genetic change, can we be sure that unexpected problems won't also arise? Perhaps the genetic modification results in very early dementia, at age 30 for example.

I would not do it until there had been a couple of generations of lifecycles (i.e. over 160 years as people live to be about 80 these days) to demonstrate this does not result in unexpected problems.

What would your opinion be on having your children genetically modified to not need any sleep?

Only if it is shown to be beneficial. Sleep and sleep-like states are found throughout the animal kingdom and so have an ancient history in our genes. A lot of things occur during sleep, such as learning. I suspect removing sleep would lower, not raise, intelligence. At some point it may be possible to remove our need for sleep without detrimental effects, but it would certainly not be anywhere near among the first genetic modifications to be done.

I would be very hesitant to have this procedure performed on my potential children. So the procedure makes my children more productive and more intelligent, but everyone deserves rest sometime. Regardless whether it is biologically needed sleep provides people with a break from their life, and everyone needs one.

You state that the children, in addition to not needing sleep also became more intelligent. But does the book state any downside to this?

As the book is fiction, it shows a side effect being that they will "live forever".

but as you go through the book it does suggest that the chidlren will grow up to have some mental disorders. (but only hypothetical as it is a fiction book)