Can anyone suggest Best places to go for a Masters in Physics?

Santosh

Hi,

I am an Electronics and Communication Engineer. However now I am planning to pursue a higher education in Physics (rather it would be great if inter-disciplinary opportunities exist with Biology- not mentioning BioPhysics alone here, but like major in Physics with minor in Biology).

I have excellent grades at the university but I finished my Bachelors in Engineering around 8 years ago. I have studied advanced topics in Physics like relativity and quantum mechanics on my own from textbooks. So I have good background in Physics & required mathematics.

Now I wish to get some advice on the best schools I can look out for.. My countries of choice are US, UK & Germany. If you guys/gals know of nice university else where (except in India, I am from India) I am open to suggestions.

But before I post this, let me make my intent clear. I want to go to a place where there can be balanced focus of classroom and research. I do not want to overload myself, but still take enough courses to give me a good base. I would like to go to a place where I can peacefully study and not get bothered with too much competition or performance (as required by course would be certainly ok) or any other distractions.. I would prefer to continue with my PhD if every thing goes well... In brief I want to enjoy Physics rather than explore career options.

I have to also admit, that I have not done enough google search before posting this, since I would like to rely on personal opinions of people rather than general information on websites.

Apologies for this long email.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Santosh

Hi AJB,

Thanks for replying to this email. I think That Tripos link is good. However I was looking for suggestions all around Europe, where much of inter-disciplinary research takes place, since I need to start applying. Well as for the topics - I was looking for theoretical-physics, Largely the field theories / String Theory oriented. But as a beginning, I guess, i thought I might have a wider choice of subjects. I want to gain good mastery over relevant Mathematics too.

Please let me know if you have some list of good universities where I can apply.

Primary Focus : Theoretical Physics - Gauge Theory, String Theories etc. Since my background is in Engineering, i hope that advanced Quantum Mechanics and advanced relativistic formalism are also a part of Graduate education. I would prefer some thing which might lead to a PhD in 4 years.

Regards,

Santosh

I would prefer some thing which might lead to a PhD in 4 years.

Top marks in a MSc would put you in a good place to enter a PhD course. In the UK the typical length of the PhD is 3.5 to 4 years.

As for what universities to apply to, all I can suggest is read the group website and contact the organiser of the MSc as well as other members of staff. Look carefully at the syllabus. If this is not online, you should as the organiser.

The only course I have any personal experience of is the MSc as Sussex. I assume it is quite typical and things covered included relativistic quantum mechanics, quantum field theory including gauge theory, beyond the standard model, cosmology, general relativity and string theory. There was also a project. Mine was on anomalies in quantum field theory.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys!

i just wanted to know whether someone with a bachelor in engineering is eligible for a masters in physics? i am in the final year of my electrical engineering and well it seems to me like i have made a huge mistake choosing engineering as my major. i am really into physics but really it seems to me that i have missed my chance. so far i have not seen anywhere that you can make that change. for an msc in physics you need a bsc in physics. well i cant go for that now coz i have my family depending on me. so its too late for that. so please tell me if it is possible for me to go for msc in physics now? any advice will be apprecaited.

mujtaba

i just wanted to know whether someone with a bachelor in engineering is eligible for a masters in physics?

You probably would be eligible. You should contact the universities you are thinking of applying to.

I know people who have engineering and chemistry undergraduate degrees go on to obtain masters in physics.

• 3 weeks later...

Should have went for Engineering Physics and concentrated in Electrical Engineering like I am :) Pretty interesting, its not as a popular choice in colleges, but The Ohio State University offers it. And here is ranking in the US for graduate schools:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-physics-schools/rankings