sea shells

There is quite alot of CaCO3 in seashells! This compound is only slightly soluble in water, however, and is stabilized in seashells by the matrix into which it is incoporated, so is even less soluble. If you would like to do a little test, you could sit a seashell in vinegar overnight, testing the pH beforehand, and afterwards. You should see a rise to around pH 7 if you use enough seashell.

If you have access to a decent balance, and an AAS (Atomic Absorption Spectrometer) with a calcium lamp, you could dissolve the seashell (after weighing it) in excess HCl, dilute it suitably (may require a few dilutions to get it right), then (after doing a standard curve with known Ca2+ standards) determine EXACTLY what percentage Ca2+ (by mass) was in your shell.

There is a titration you can do if you dont have an AAS...

http://www.ce.udel.edu/courses/CIEG%20437/lab02-2003.doc

:D

yeah, i decided to make calcium salts the other day. i started with calcium acetate (simple, no?).

i crushed my shells into a fine powder, then added some to a beaker with some ethanoic acid. not all the shells dissolved and it took quite awhile to finish the reaction. when i went to distill it, i turned on my burner and almost instantly the solution released a vapor that looked like water vapor. do you know why this was produced? i checked my merck index and it states that calcium acetate doesn't become anhydrous until higher temperatures

• 7 years later...