Unknown Chemical

Caleb

I was looking through some old stuff and found my dads old chemistry set, there are a couple chemicals that I do know what they are, my dad was sort of mischievous as a boy:rolleyes:, so I don't want to mess around with any of these until I know what they are. I did a coulple simple experiments with them. So, I was wondering if someone could help me,

The first chemical I think is a metal, because it is magnetic, solid at room temperature, conducts heat, and it possess a metallic luster, but I am at a standstill at what type of metal it is.

The second chemical I have no clue because, it possess a pink-red color, and it is like powdered clay.:confused:

Edited by Caleb
Oops, sorry for putting this in the physics, I meant to put it in the chemistry.

If its magnetic, then it will contain either iron, nickle or molybdenum (i think??)...or itl be an alloy containing on of thoise metals. You could try measure its Youn moduls....that'l tell you exactly what it is...I'm just not sure how easy that'l be outside of a lab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_modulus

The second might be rust (iron oxide). If you try dissolve it in water or an ortanic solvent (try nailvarnish remover)...if it goes a certain colour then that should give you a hin to the metal present.