Solubility of CO2

i know that CO2 is almost completely insoluble in H2O.

i also know that only 1% of that CO2(aq) is H2CO3.

can anybody here tell me a solvent that CO2 would be more soluble in that would also produce a great amount of H2CO3(aq)?

i think most acids would work but i'm trying to find a better way than using acids; i am working on a research project and the next step i've decided would involve neutralizing the H2CO3(aq). of course, this wouldn't be efficient if there were a strong acid solution to neutralize. if you could help, i would be most grateful

there are many chems that will gratefully recieve Co2, but as HCO3??? that`s asking too much, and as for using acids, CO2 wont`s displace anything, so that would be a waste of time :((

i think most acids would work but i'm trying to find a better way than using acids; i am working on a research project and the next step i've decided would involve neutralizing the H2CO3(aq). of course' date=' this wouldn't be efficient if there were a strong acid solution to neutralize. if you could help, i would be most grateful[/quote']

H2CO3 IS neutral, btw

Are you asking "how can I get a solution of H2CO3 that is more than 1%"?

or "how can I get a solution of CO2 that is more than 0.03 M"?

It sounds like you want to fight thermodynamics.

heh, it's funny you ask.

you see, when i get bored, my mind does odd things. example: i tried for hours to figure out a way to make carbon emissions from automobiles lesser or just eliminate them. unfortunately, i found that over 200 moles of gases are emitted from engines every minute or something like that (i dont feel like checking my notebook) and that an Al(OH)3 filter would be neutralized very quickly.

Budulle, I applaud the way you think, mate, especially for a 16 yr old. Your heart is obviously in the right place. Catalytic converters are already standard on nearly all new cars (ALL cars in australia, at least). They utilize platinum on/in a ceramic (heat resistant) matrix to absorb/transform many of the noxious emisions. If you want to do something environmental, study up on solar cells, photosynthesis, energy storage etc. We won't be able to do much about greenhouse emissions until we convince gov'ts that these alternatives are economically viable...and believe me, they take some convincing. I am not the only one in Australia who is heinously embarrased that we didn't sign the Kyoto Protocol *sigh*.

We need talented people coming through the tertiary education system with postgraduate degrees AND a sense of morals/conscience. It's a slow road, but momentum is building.

keep it up mate, :), make sure you keep thinking outside of the box without forgetting/knowing what is in the box.

MM

thanks for supporting my crazed spontaneous reserach projects :)

what we really need are two catalysts; one that catalyzes the synthesis reaction of a compound, and one that catalyzes the decomposition of the same compound. of course, the problem would be the energy yield over a span of time.

nope' date=' 'tisn't necessarily

it acts like an acid.

yes, i wish to fight thermodynamics...unfortunately, i found that an automobile produces an incredible amount of gases. that ruins my entire idea[/quote']

here comes the anality :)

as a molecule carbonic acid is neutral, charge-wise (that's what I meant)

a solution of carbonic acid would not be pH neutral, of course (what you meant)

o well, who cares, right?