Alterations to Genes to learn more about a genome

ILRA

This is awesome, i didnt know there were such sites like this!!!

So, here's the question:

At Johns Hopkins University (USA), there is a “Build-a-Genome” lab course where undergraduate students participate in the international Synthetic Yeast Genome Project. Students receive oligomers and reagents to construct sections of a “designer yeast genome”.

What types of alterations to the wild-type genome do you think might be useful for learning more about yeast genome organization/function, and why?

All i could think of is causing mutations within certain genes to see what their functions could be. If the mutation occurs in the gene then to certain protein wont be synthesized or improperly synthesized. I was also thinking that if you removed barrier sequences from the areas around the genes so that heterochromatin can block the expression of the gene, and see whats different about the way the yeast would behave, targeting the gene that was blocked to see its function. I'm not sure of other ways. Also another thing i thought of was that if you put in some point mutations or some oxidation mutations, we can possibly see the action of their repair enzymes in replication. And possible see the effect of removing the SINES and LINES and any other repeated sequences, and introns to see the changes in the regulatory functions. I'm only sure about the first one as a way to learn more about the genome, all the others are just ideas that im not sure would work. Any ideas?

Edited by ILRA

Well, your suggestions seem like they would be more appropriate for a "Dismatle-a-Genome" project. Though that would seem the easier way to learn about the yeast genome's organization/function. What about adding another copy of a gene and its promoter?