Sound and Decoherence

foodchain

Does sound in general give support to quantum decoherence? I know the human ear is probably not registering sound on a quantum level, but could sound support quantum decoherence?

I mean the measurement problem is not a solved deal, but with decoherence I think it makes a bit of sense. If no physical body could interact you could have no observation, or measurement, or anything. In such activity energy is typically involved, and energy comes in quanta right? So for instance giving the uncertainty principal, should phonons or sound in general always be random to some extent, or for example why is there any regularity to sound production giving any physical objects capable of producing a noise? Such as dropping a penny on a metallic surface from three feet does not make a sound like stepping on a rubber ducky ever, why not? Does quantum physics or the uncertainty principal not apply or am I looking at this all wrong?

Hi foodchain,

Well,Fundamental conservation laws mandate parameter-free generic mechanisms of decoherence of quantum oscillations in double-well systems. We consider two examples: tunneling of the magnetic moment in nanomagnets and tunneling between macroscopic current states in SQUIDs. In both cases the decoherence occurs via emission of phonons and photons at the oscillation frequency. We also show that in a system of identical qubits the decoherence greatly increases due to the superradiance of electromagnetic and sound waves. Our findings have important implications for building elements of quantum computers based upon nanomagnets and SQUIDs.

Thanks