Measureing a Human Soul

John Phoenix

This may not be valid anymore but I haven't heard anything on it in years.

It was determined years ago that at the very exact moment of death a small amount of weight is lost. The scientist who studied this took into account every possible physical cause they could think of as to why this should be. Someone postulated that this unaccounted for weight loss is the human soul leaving the body.

I know some scientist don't believe in the existence of the human soul. What do you think this weight loss represents if not the soul?

Does anyone know of further research into this?

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

What to make of all this? MacDougall's results were flawed because the methodology used to harvest them was suspect, the sample size far too small, and the ability to measure changes in weight imprecise. For this reason, credence should not be given to the idea his experiments proved something, let alone that they measured the weight of the soul as <NOBR>21 grams</NOBR>. His postulations on this topic are a curiosity, but nothing more.

Oh wow.. I had read about this in a book years ago but the book didn't mention that the experiments were done as far back as 1907 or the fact that the scientist measured different amounts of weight loss.

Well, thanks for the link.. I am almost sorry a thread was wasted on this.

For he record, I do believe in the existence of the soul but I do not believe that the soul has weight and physical mass.. this does not make sense to me nor should it to even the most fundamental "believers".