Aluminum-can lightning rods...

MDJH

I have a bunch of pseudo-designs drawn up (ie. not very specific, definitely not professional) for ideas of what to do with lightning. Most of them revolve around the idea that I can attract lightning with a tall enough stack of aluminum cans. This stack would ideally be set up away from buildings and trees, and would be set up when there isn't a cloud in the sky. (Or at least not directly overhead)

In order to make the stack stand up without breaking, I'd probably need some strong adhesive, one that either doesn't set fire or does conduct electricity (or at least, conducts electricity without setting fire) and I'm not sure if superglues I'd find at hardware stores would be adequate for the task. Also, if I were to glue it to the ground, what kind of surface would I need? Would I be better off using a paved surface and using some sort of waterproof superglue so that the water that runs on the pavement would run around it, or would that eventually eat away at the glue? In any case, would I be better off using a sandy surface and burying the bottom of the stack (ie. the first few cans) in the sand instead, so as to give a certain amount of height within the ground?

If you want to have a tall metal structure to attract lightning, use a pipe. Something that cannot break so easily. Something that won't snap when it bends a bit.

A high stack of cans will break. Apologies for being negative about your idea... I just cannot see any glue that is so strong that you can conveniently build it.

A pipe has several benefits:

1. It's quite cheap (copper plumbing pipes really aren't so expensive). And per meter it's cheaper than cans (unless you already have a massive stack of cans and no pipe).

2. It's strong.

3. It will conduct easily.

4. It can be expanded using connections (standard plumbing pipes and standard connections).

If you want it to stand up, bury it in the sand a bit... and also attach at least 3 ropes to the top, and fix those into the ground too (like with radio and tv masts).

If you want to have a tall metal structure to attract lightning, use a pipe. Something that cannot break so easily. Something that won't snap when it bends a bit.

A high stack of cans will break. Apologies for being negative about your idea... I just cannot see any glue that is so strong that you can conveniently build it.

A pipe has several benefits:

1. It's quite cheap (copper plumbing pipes really aren't so expensive). And per meter it's cheaper than cans (unless you already have a massive stack of cans and no pipe).

2. It's strong.

3. It will conduct easily.

4. It can be expanded using connections (standard plumbing pipes and standard connections).

If you want it to stand up, bury it in the sand a bit... and also attach at least 3 ropes to the top, and fix those into the ground too (like with radio and tv masts).

What if I don't have access to sand? (I might... but I don't know quite where I could go for sand in the city I'm in now.) Would it work with a soil surface, or would rainwater cause it to fall? Would leaning it against a tree be a good or bad idea?

Also, what about an aluminum pipe, I've heard it's almost as conductive and glows blue when it's about to get struck?

yes, soil works. just stick it in the ground a bit whatever the ground is composed of.

aluminium would work fine but it does not glow blue before being struck.

I would've sworn I read SOMEWHERE that it does. Something about the charge building up before the strike... or is it for during the strike?

Whatever, I'll probably get whichever's cheaper anyway. But how far is "a bit" for sticking in the ground? A few metres, or a few decimetres?

I meant soil, sand, whatever. You can put it in concrete and it'll still work.

The only reason you stick it into something like soil is to keep it upright (so that it doesn't fall over).

So, how deep? Depends a bit on the aluminium pipe, doesn't it? If you have a 300 meter TV tower, I would suggest you put it quite deep. If you have a 5 meter pipe...

You'll know better how deep to bury it. Depends on the soil. Depends on the pipe. Depends if you use any other tricks to keep the pipe standing (like ropes).

Don't worry too much about conductivity. If you have a metal pipe, the conductivity is always good enough. Soil itself conducts also pretty well (especially if it's wet - anything except desert basically).

My main concern would be safety. If you catch lightning... make sure you're in a safe place yourself.