inspired by stargate - time dilations and poles

Stevil

an episode of stargate sg-1 saw a black hole on the one side of the wormhole creating time dilations back on earth.

if u were to have a similar, theoretical scenario of say, a circle draw on the ground, and inside the circle time was running slowly and outside it was normal, and u were to stick a pole into the circle, wat would happen?

since, i gather, when u push a pole on one end, the other end moves because the particles push each other along at a certain speed (the reason y u can't have faster than light communication by making a pole between planets and pushing it), i would figure that within the circle the particles would b moving slower and outside they would b moving normal. is this rite? wat would happen? would the pole condense in some parts? stretch out? something else? :confused:

an episode of stargate sg-1 saw a black hole on the one side of the wormhole creating time dilations back on earth.

if u were to have a similar' date=' theoretical scenario of say, a circle draw on the ground, and inside the circle time was running slowly and outside it was normal, and u were to stick a pole into the circle, wat would happen?

[/quote']

I would esstimate it would be like trying to push the pole into honey or tar.

yeah, what yt2095 said.

honey or tar are a thick liquid

becuase the base of the stick would be in 'slow' time, it would make it more difficult to push down,

i know computer games are not real, but for example:

in this computer game i have, you slow down time in one point, then shoot the bad guys, the bullets speed normal speed towards the target, then slow as it goes into the area of 'slowed' time

basically, youd be pushing the stick at normal time, but becuase the stick is a solid, and the speed of one part is affected by the speed of another part, the whole stick will be miving slowly,

so like a computer network it will all work at the speed of the slowest network card, or in this case the slowest part of the stick

Resistance is a force working against the force that you are exerting on the pole.

Whether you compensate to push the pole at the same rate or not, there is still force involved that has come from nowhere.

• 1 month later...

Well, since a circle im which time moves more slowly is impossible (at least from what i know), any explanation of what it would feel like is speculation. So where the force to push back comes from is a moot issue, as is what pushing the stick would feel like.

Let me speculate: perhaps the stick would appear to be moving more quickly from inside the circle becasue time is moving slower there. Since the pushing force originates in 'normal' time, I imagine the properties (i.e. velocity) of the stick in 'slow' time would be governed by the properties it was given in 'normal' time. Thus the feeling of pushing the stick into the circle would be no differnt from pushing it anywhere else.

If that makes any sense