about co2emission

good evening everybody

the electric scroll compressor used in cooling milk produces a considerable amount of CO2 gas .......knowing that this compressor is using an hcfc gas as refregirant

what is the amount of co2 produced per kwh in this case?

the compressor is using an hcfc gas as refrigirant..........means that there will be an emission of CO2 .....:confused:

and if we talk about the power source (knowing that the compressor capacity is 4800 kh) then what would be the answer?

no, using an HCFC coolant will not result inan emission of carbon dioxide.

the coolant would be contained in a loop and not be discharged to the atmosphere. and even then there would be no CO2 unless you burned the hcfc which is a highly unlikely scenario as they tend not to burn. perhaps if you put it through a furnace but again, what would be the point?

whithout further knowledge of the power source we cannot derive the CO2 ouput per kwh

Edited by insane_alien

thank you for your answer

i calculated the consumption of this electric compressor before and after being assisted by solar energy, and i've read that a saved electric energy in cooling systems means a reduction of CO2 emission..........to calculate the amount reduced i need this information...........i don't know how the CO2 is produced in the cooling cycle

all i know is that there're emission of this gas....

thanks again

there is no CO2 produced in the cooling cycle.

the only place the CO2 can possibly come from is the generation of the electricity to drive the pump. this electricity likely comes from the main distribution grid and what actually produces this electricity depends a lot on where you live.

if it was near me then it would come from either a nuclear power plant or one of the windfarms near here. and there would be no CO2 produced.

if it was operating near a fossil fuel power plant then CO2 would be produced there. or if it was powered by a diesel generator then CO2 would be produced there.

any reduction in CO2 production will come from the power source rather than the pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Farmers might be off the grid, with their own aggregate for electricity for the compressors.

A cooling cycle is a closed loop in which the HCFC circulates. In order to make this gas go round, you need a compressor (which is essentially just a pump for gas). That compressor runs on electricity. To make electricity, you need something like a dynamo. And to make a dynamo spin, you need some other engine, which needs a fuel. And burning that fuel is what creates the CO2.

What insane_alien suggests is that it's most likely that the compressor is simply connected to the electricity grid, and the dynamo and engine are both in the powerplant (which burns coal, or gas or something like that).

Solar cells will create electricity too. Therefore you need less electricity from the other source (dynamo etc.).

You need to provide quite a bit more information if you want us to help you to find the amount of CO2 produced to cool the milk. You need to help us with things like: temperature of the milk after cooling, efficiency of the cooler (coefficient of performance of the cooler)...