Bse

admiral_ju00

aka Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy.

I have a question on this, something that's been annoying me for a while.

One of the things that make this a deadly problem in humans is their genetic predisposition(there is a gene or two in our genome that make it possible or easier), meaning if you have the genes, then more likely you will develop it after eating the meat, etc.

However, something that I'm curios on is this, how do the prions survive the cooking and or burning process? Assuming that the meat you've just BBQ'd is Well-Done as opposed to Medium-Rare or worse yet, Rare, where the cause and effect is very obvious.

So, taking a slice from a cow which is known to have BSE, will it give you the BSE if the meat was thoroughly(Well-Done) cooked?

So, taking a slice from a cow which is known to have BSE, will it give you the BSE if the meat was thoroughly(Well-Done) cooked?

Well, from what my science teacher told me, yes, it will affect you sadly. I don't remember him telling me why the prions aren't destroyed when heated though :(

indeed they have, and that`s why it suggests a simple protein, with bonds arranged in such a way to remain unaffected by conventional sterilisation methods, be in no doubt that charing temps wouldn`t destroy it! :)

it also render your Burger a candidate for the next BBQ charcoal line up LOL :)