Dueling lightsaber imitation

Shadow

Me and my friend have gotten into sword dueling...not serious dueling, we just pick up a couple of sticks or something and see who can hit the other first. Anyway, since I've always been a with Star Wars fan, lightsabers have always captured my attention, specifically how to build one. And ever since we started dueling, I was attracted to the possibility of making a training saber. The way I envision it, it would basically be a piece of metal with some kind of voltage going through it, so that it would give a jolt whenever it came in contact with skin. It would certainly make the match more fun, since the opponent would have to guard himself even against the smallest brush.

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right section, but I'd like to try an build something like that. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with anything regarding this. So I was wondering if there was someone among you who would be willing to sacrifice time in order to explain step by step how I would build something like that. Before I even start, is something like this even feasible? I realize that playing with electricity isn't all that bright an idea, but with the proper current, is it safe? Or am I out of my mind?

When finished, the saber would have two parts; handle and "blade". Here's the first part I know nothing about. Ideally, the blade would be made of a material that would be light and would be able to withstand the force of two blades clashing, which could be quite a force at times. It would also have to conduct electricity. That's most important, otherwise the whole thing would lose it's point. Finally, and probably least important though still an issue, it would be available and not too expensive, which goes by way of saying that carbon nanotubes aren't an option for me. I guess the material I'm talking about would be some kind of metal, but frankly I just have no clue. So that's my first question; what kind of material should I use for the blade?

Regardless, the blade would be slightly hollow, so as to accommodate some kind of wire, to transmit the current. I'm going to refrain from asking questions like what kind of wire, how much space in the blade, how do I make that space, etc. That can be, I assume, worked out later. What I'm interested in is how big the current should be. I found a handy picture on a website that showed the reactions to different kinds of currents (http://ehs.okstate.edu/modules/electric/FACES.GIF). According to that website, 3-10 milliamperes is the pain range. More than 10 is the "let go threshold", which seems a little too much to me. So is something like 8 milliamperes what I'm looking for? Is it safe? Can it in any way have more serious effects than a painful jolt?

On we go to the handle. The handle would contain the "device", running on batteries, which would create the current. It would have to be made of some kind of material that doesn't conduct electricity well, and would be able to hold the blade in place. I think wood would be good for this, maybe covered with a layer of rubber just to be safe. Now here comes the part that's most confusing to me, since it's the part I have least experience with; how do I make a "device" that generates that kind of current? What batteries would it use? What do I need to make it? Or do I buy it? I'm completely lost here, so be prepared for a lot of dumb questions. This is entirely out of my league. Also, the handle would have some kind of on/off switch, but that would probably be part of the generator.

Well, that's that. I've included a rough picture, so it's easier to visualize what I'm visualizing :) Thanks in advance for any tips.

Saber.JPG

3-10 milliamperes .... Well for starters this looks to me as though you are looking to create a continuously available electrical power source. May I suggest cutting the cord and using some sort of static generator with a renewing source of static shock! In which case you want to read more about a static electric shock and the required Joules in creating the desired effect. Think of one of those gag hand shocking thingies.

There is actually an electronic scoring method for fencing in the olympics. While not actually delivering a shock to the opponent it will detect a hit.

Perhaps this website for a patent will point you down an appropriate route: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3920242.html

That works either by having a push to make switch on the end of it in épée or foil, or in sabre you have to wear metal clothing that is attached to the scoring system it is hardly a good method of doing it.

but to deliver an electric jolt you'll have to make the current run through your friend, meaning an open electric circuit which closes upon contact with your friends skin..

i think the saber has to be covered with a number of small "heads"..so whenever two heads touch your friend the electric circuit is closed..

i also think you'd like to use capacitors, i'm sure they'll come i handy for such low voltage bursts like these.

but i'm still not sure on how to arrange the circuit in a way that it'll be closed when ANY two pins or "heads" are connected..maybe each two heads will be connected to a capacitor and all capacitors recharge from one circuit connected to the batteries?

mmm i'm not sure:embarass:

im not that hot which electrical physics, but:

what exactly do you mean "run through the saber"? will the saber be some sort of long metal loop like ========> for the current to run in it? (an already connected circuit)

or will it be one long rod charged somehow and you want it to discharge upon contact?

^^^^^

hey actually i think that miht be possible, you charge the saber by a method unknown to me, the electrons zap your friend upon contact, just like lightning, but then based on how much you charge it, the zap might be done remotly, it would "jump" to him, as i said just like lightning from the sky:D

in which case the "circuit" would be simply using your friend as a medium to discharge into the the ground (what if he's wearing rubber boots?) or just balance the amount of charge between the - saber and relatavly + body of your friend (lol, maybe yours)..

i'm really lost here, as i said, i'm not that much with electrical stuff..:embarass:

The discharge was more along the lines of what I was thinking about. He wouldn't be wearing rubber boots,;we would probably be without shirts, with shorts and bare footed. After all, the whole point is to make it zap. And the handle would be made out of some material that doesn't conduct electricity very well. As I was saying, the inside would probably be something like wood, and just to be sure it would be covered with a layer of rubber, which would be the only material that would come in contact with the wielder's hand. If the wielder is stupid enough to touch the blade, well... :)

As for the charge, I would prefer it not jumping through thin air much, if at all possible. As for the jolt delivered, if it'd be painfull enough the make the opponent really try with all his might to defend well (ie. make it as close to a real "lightsaber" fight as possible), it would be great. But I don't know if these two could be combined. As for the charge up method, I have no clue as well. Any suggestions anyone?