Do elevated atmospheric lead levels = modern people are less intellegent?

All things being equal would higher levels of atmospheric lead have a negative consequence on overall mental function?

Maybe without atmospheric lead we'd have 6 points a decade?

Hope that makes it clearer.

:)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

...as the title I chose was a little misleading.

Sorry.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I'll take that silence as a 'yes'.

you'd have to prove that the lead levels are detrimental to metal ability. where's the evidence?

The severe, permanent cognitive damage caused by lead has been extensively documented, and is among the most well-known of heavy-metal poisonings next to mercury

The real questions are:

1) How high are average modern levels of atmospheric lead compared to what's needed to cause damage?

2) How much regional variation is there in level of lead contamination?

Sometimes knowing how to ask the right question is 1/2 the battle.

Considering that lead accumulates in the body, how much is dangerous and where is it at?

I don't know.

If I did I wouldn't be asking.

:)

I do know that airplanes, farm equipment and ATVs are still allowed to use leaded gas.

Everything else (in the US at least) has been outlawed since 1995.

I agree, that atmospheric lead levels may be a factor in mental retardation (AFAIK, this point has yet to be proven, though ought not be dismissed) in isolated cases, however there are numerous more important factors in measuring intelligence, and I really doubt that the atmospheric lead content shall have a very prevalent, if noticeable, effect upon the intelligence of the human populace. (Given its current quantity, as of course, breathing pure leaded vapours, is not pleasant. To say the least! ;) )

(Edit)

Well, here's a lovely little study of dug up done by the division of environmental engineering, at the Asian Institute of Technology, which found that while there were few noticeable effects of atmospheric lead exposure, it did find that lead accumulates in the bloodstream, possibly as a result of this atmospheric lead content, reaching saturation point, at around the age of forty. Blood lead content is also found to be clocely related to road proximity, traffic networks, and the like (As one would expect), suggesting a correlation, however, the trace lead content of food, may also prove a factor.

Here's the link:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r52j21w703t17488/

And here is the link to a similar study, done at the university of zurich:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n3375775p05l21u8/

Edited by Theophrastus