time travel, Mass/Energy problem?

PLEASE don`t make me have to put this in the Psuedoscience section, it`s a genuine question and I`de like to hear REALISTIC answers, trolls need not apply!!!

Wathcing an episode of "Enterprise" there was a situation whereby 2 Enterprises met, seperated by 100 years or such.

they were able to interact and touch each other etc...

my question is this, WHERE does the extra MASS to create it come from, at 1`st guess you`de assume from ENERGY? well the same question applies, WHERE does all that MASSIVE amount of energy come from to re-create that mass?

I`ve been trying to figure it out for weeks, that`s one of the reasons that I don`t beleive a "time machine" can be a viable technology, nor teleportation.

any REALISTIC veiws on this?

well with teleportation, the mass comes from your original self, so if you teleport from X to Y, at point Y, your mass has come from point X, where you were originally

but with time travel;

im not sure, i suppose if you think of time travel NOT as: you're actual body is at every point in time,

but think of it as;

there is a single you,

if you travel back in time, you are no longer in the future, not in both places at once, so the mass comes from you, in other words, it is the same you, the same mass, just at a different point in time,

however as this is all theorectical, no one can be sure

Sayo: I`m not 100% sure if you`re in agrrement or making a different point here?

IF it`s a closed system and all matter and energy are "in use" where would the "extra" come from? would something have to be sacraficed or vanish for a new ship to materialise?

and what determining factors are in place to dictate WHAT matter or energy is to be sacraficed or at least Converted?

Like 5614 said, the effect would be that of the matter/energy being destroyed in time frame A and recreated in time frame B, so there is no net difference and the prescription of which matter/energy is moved is self-determining.

well surely if that`s the case, and ship 1 is the same as ship 2 but from a different time frame, there`s no way they could co-exist in the same time period, let alone actualy dock and meet up!?

But the ships in "Yesterday's Enterprise" were the NCC-1701-C and NCC-1701-D respectively, two completely different ships.

Unless you are talking about the Enterprise-D duplicates from "Parallels", which were all from different universes.

[edit] Was it Enterprise, or TNG? I confused myself.

Enterprise with cap`n Archer, something to do with Zindee space and a wormhole and some plasma $h!t that went wrong???? either way, it was the same ship but 100 years later.

fact is, the specifics are imaterial, the same plot`s been used in many sci-fi series, from the Twigglets Zone (only a UKer will understand that) to the Outer Limits. if an object goes into the past to meet itself (ignoring spatial problems that would render it impossible anyway) then the matter and or Energy to make it MUST come from somewhere, surely?

Ahhh I'm with you now.

I don't recall the specific Enterprise episode you are talking about, but I get the scenario you mean.

Errrrr... right. The matter can be in period A1->A2 because while it is there it is "missing" from period B1->B2 and the net total matter in the universe remains constant.

maybe it`s a mental block or something, but I still fail to see how?

year 2000 I see in my universe a beaten up old computer chair that came from the year 3000, it`s the same chair I`m sitting on now!

and so I buy it from the sale and bring it home...

my year 2000 universe now has extra mass in it, wouldn`t that cause significant problems?

lol, the year 3000 people have MISSING mass wouldn`t that cause equaly significant problems?

this is all hyperthetical, no one knows the answers,

but maybe try imagining the universe as one thing, and that time is not a barrier, so there is not more mass in 2000 and less in 3000, there is equal mass in the universe and that is all that matters,

in other words, it doesnt matter where in time and item is, it just matters that it is in this universe, irrelevant of time,

in fact, if my theory is right, in time travel Vs mass Vs energy etc etc time is irrelevant to the equation, the only thing that matters it that the mass is somewhere in the universe, who cares when -- or at what time.