Interferece RNA (iRNA) - can it be spread by a virus?

Guest Terence

Guest Terence

Is it theoretically possible to deliver iRNA by a viral vector to suppress a particular gene?

(iRNA, or interference RNA is an exciting development whereby short pieces of double stranded RNA are used to very specifically target and switch off gene expression.)

If so, then would the virus continue to reproduce, thus maintaining gene suppression?

Also, if the virus was infectious the gene suppression could feasibly spread between a number of hosts or whole communities.

I'd better tell you upfront that I'm a science fiction writer brainstorming ideas for a novel.

I know that viruses are used as vectors and presumably this would have to be a double stranded RNA virus. But I have not seen iRNA being used in such a way, although it does seem at least possible. Part of the viral genome would need to be concerned with replication and another part would have to contain iRNAs that can be spliced out in some way. This is where I am on shaky ground with my knowledge.

I would be greatful for any ANY ideas, however off-the-wall.

Thanks,

-Terence

• 7 months later...
Guest Jignesh

RNA interference (RNAi), is a gene-silencing technique used in studying the absence of normal gene action (by disrupting its activity in vivo, i.e., turning it off) in fruit flies, nematodes, and mammalian cells. To mee it seems possible to delivere any genetic material through virus and so do the RNAi, If the virus is infectious it will spread RNAi suppressing the gene of interest in infected cells.