What to do if you dont get in?

DrFishNips

I applied to university as a mature student (23). I'm in Ireland. The course I wanna do is a chemistry course. I was interviewed for 2 courses that were on my list the chemisty one aswell as electronic engineering. I was so nervous when I went into the chemistry course interview I messed it up completely. Did a terrible interview. Then since I didn't care too much about the electronic engineering one I wasn't nervous at all and did a brilliant interview. Now what I did was I managed to get into a pre university science course and I got pretty good marks in it so now I have something even better than a leaving cert. I assumed that would be enough to get me into that chemistry course but I was talking to the university today and they think that I will probably get a place in the electronic engineering course not the chemistry one because of the interviews I did.

That wouldn't be too bad but I found out today that since electronic engineering is an unrelated field it will be hard to transfer. Now I'm worried that I mighta messed up my chances of getting into this chemistry course. I'm dead set on getting into this particular course because its an unconventional chemistry course that encompasses other fields like biology, physics and pharmacology aswell. It would be perfect for me as they are my favourite fields. Anyway what I'm wondering is what I can do to get into this course as soon as possible if I don't get a place in September. Would it be possible to get into it after christmas? Also if I get accepted into the electronic engineering course would it be beneficial for me to do that for a year then try and transfer to chemistry or should I just reject the electronic engineering course and focus only on the chemistry one. I'm regretting putting electronic engineering on my list because if I had only been interviewed for the chemistry course maybe they would have let me in instead of giving me a place in the course they think I was more enthusiastic about in the interview.

Any tips?