Blood disases only women can recieve

Mjölner

I know there are blood diseases only men can recieve, but what about women? I have asked on several forums but no one seems to know about any. I'm doing this for biology class and we have recently studied genetics. We haven't been taught about this, it's a more difficult question. The question is why, but I don't even know of any diseases.

So does anyone know? Thanks!

Do you mean "blood diseases" as in genetic diseases which affect the blood, or do you mean blood diseases such as malaria or HIV?

I don't really know (since it's not my question - it's homework), probably the former because we've recently studied genetics. I need to answer WHY, but I don't even know of any diseases! :confused:

I believe he is thinking of hemophilia and other X-linked recessive disorders.

I do not know of any sex-linked hereditary diseases in which the female is more susceptible. X-linked recessive disorders happen because the male receives only one X chromosome: if it has a mutant allele (e.g., for a Factor VIII deficiency), he has no other X chromosome to compensate, and the recessive allele is expressed. In females, having two X chromosomes, the "good" allele can still be expressed (although there may be a gene dosage effect).

I believe he is thinking of hemophilia and other X-linked recessive disorders.

I do not know of any sex-linked hereditary diseases in which the female is more susceptible. X-linked recessive disorders happen because the male receives only one X chromosome: if it has a mutant allele (e.g., for a Factor VIII deficiency), he has no other X chromosome to compensate, and the recessive allele is expressed. In females, having two X chromosomes, the "good" allele can still be expressed (although there may be a gene dosage effect).

Yeah, I know, but hemophilia is more common among men, like you said. Maybe it's a trick-question, he wants us to explain the principles without being able to directly find them on wikipedia for example by reading the page about the specific disease, so it requires more over-all knowledge if you know what I mean. I've asked this question on several other forums as well, and no one can think of any such disease. Thanks everybody, and if you come pu with one, feel free to post :)

Things to think about:

1) In order for a disorder to be sex-linked, what chromosomes must it be on.

2) Given what you know about dominant and recessive genes and the human XX-XY sex system, would it be possible for women to ever show a disease more commonly? Work through examples in your head to try it out.