Ototoxic Tinnitus

Ahab

Well, I ****ed up.

I have an ear infection, and I've been taking motrin for it. A lot of motrin. STUPID amounts of motrin. I went to the hospital last night for a quick antibiotic prescription, and they gave me even more motrin.

About an hour later, I got a nagging ringing sound in my ears. It got louder and louder for about an hour, and this morning it was a little quieter.

I'm pretty sure this is the motrin and not the ear infection, because the ringing is in both ears, but the infection is mainly in the right one.

Is ototoxic tinnitus permanent? :-(

It can be permanent, but in other cases it is temporary. The Merck Manual indicates that salicylates (like overdosing on aspirin) can cause temporary tinnitus. It doesn't mention ibuprofen specifically, but my guess is that it would behave more like aspirin than most of the other drugs listed (i.e., temporary, rather than permanent). :)

I havn't looked at an NSAID since this began, and I have a doctor's appointment today.

The Merck Manual says it's temporary? God bless those Big Pharma bastards.

Thank you, everyone. I used to lurk here, and I'm happy to see it hasn't gone downhill like most forums.

I havn't looked at an NSAID since this began, and I have a doctor's appointment today.

The Merck Manual says it's temporary? God bless those Big Pharma bastards.

Thank you, everyone. I used to lurk here, and I'm happy to see it hasn't gone downhill like most forums.

Well, the Merck Manual says that it may be temporary in the case of salicylates. I'm just guessing that ibuprofen acts the same as the salicylates. Your doctor should know for sure.

Best of luck!

Well my doctor (Who is named Dr. Treatman, isn't that awesome?) says I probably haven't had enough motrin to cause tinnitus, and he thinks it may be an infectious block or fluid in my ears. Either way, he says, it will go away within a few days. Antibiotics and lots of water until then.