Why can't I change user-specific folder and variable names?

Hansika

Is there any way to modify or delete a 'user variable' on XP Pro without login to the account?

The story is this. I got a laptop repaired but the OS (together with defective speaker and audio board) was re-installed. The problem is the Windows was installed with a username which I would like to replace. Doing through Control Panel-> User Account was successful.

However, %USERPROFILE% and %HOMEPATH% still point to the wrong folder. I managed to modify %HOMEPATH% through "Local Users and Groups" -> Users, but %USERPROFILE% remained not pointing to the new folder under C:\Documents and Settings. Then I decided to add USERPROFILE in 'user variable' to override the value used by XP. Now I can not login any more through regular reboot or safe mode. I still can login as Administrator.

How do I delete USERPROFILE that I created? From regedit, it seems I can only access Environment Variable (user variable) defined by Current User.

This sounds vaguely familiar. If memory serves, user accounts are associated with a unique user ID. So if you delete a user from the system their profile essentially becomes orphaned -- even if you create a user account with the same name the system treats it as a new user. This is by design.

Just move the files over from the old profile to the new one. No big deal.

(Mod Note: I'm moving this folder to Computer Help.)