hypochlorous acid

max.yevs

i need some HOCl for an experiment I'm very interested in.

Anybody know how I can make this? I can get NaOCl, NaCl, H2O2, MnO2, HCl, NaOH, MgSO4, NaSO4, electricity, and other common materials.

And please don't suggest bubbling chlorine through water, it will not work for the experiment I'm doing.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

would acetic acid(CH3COOH) + bleach(NaOCl) yield sodium acetate(NaCH3CO2) and hypochlorous acid(HOCl) ?

if not, does anyone know any similar reactions that would make HOCl?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

ahh! these chemistry threads move so slowly...

In any case I have concluded that the only way that one could make HOCl (besides dissolving chlorine in water) is to react NaOCl with an acid that has a negative ion more oxidizing than oxygen. For example, 2NaOCl + H2SO4 > Na2SO4 + 2HOCl... that way the oxygen in NaOCl would not dare oxidize an acid (say HCl) to water and say chlorine for example.

Edited by max.yevs
Consecutive posts merged.

It's not that the threads. "move slowly", it's because based on your recent posting history in the Chemistry forums nobody wants to help you to make dangerous chemicals.

You have already received a 15-point infraction for a HazMat (Hazardous Materials) policy violation. Another one of those will result in an automatic and immediate ban.

I suggest that before you post in chemistry threads in future, you give significant consideration to the safety aspect of what you want to discuss. Even if you are competent and knowledgeable enough to avoid the risks and dangers inherent to some of these reactions and chemicals, it falls on you to ensure that you identify these in the thread, to ensure that other less-experienced members trying to emulate your experiments do not burn their faces off.

Comments such as "oh, and kids: don't make liquid chlorine" when you have just been discussing its use are insufficient.