...I'm lost with these ALUMINUM wires, need some help here

bearnybear

I'm doing an experiment with aluminum wires, and when I put them in saltwater, they starting growing these orangish blobs. Then, in regular water, they looked darker in some parts. In air, obviously nothing happened. Can anyone explain what the heck happened with the wires in saltwater because I'm clueless right now? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• 4 weeks later...

are you sure they were aluminum wires? not steel? and not the type used for soldering, which are tin/lead?

well regardless of what metal you used, i doubt you got chloride, if anything you probably got oxide- i.e. aluminum oxide because salt helps facilitate rusting.

are you sure they were aluminum wires? not steel? and not the type used for soldering, which are tin/lead?

well regardless of what metal you used, i doubt you got chloride, if anything you probably got oxide- i.e. aluminum oxide because salt helps facilitate rusting.

I highly doubt it's oxide - aluminium is usually coated in a layer of oxide under standard conditions, due to its reactivity. Aluminium isn't orange so I assume its oxide isn't either.