Wintersong

i think it's to do with the chemical element's symbols:

Carbon

Oxygen

S

ilicon

N

eon

Although i've tried "minus one", "negative one", "-1" and "minus 1" and "negative 1" and none of those work

Edited by hermanntrude

Yes, you're right. The answer is 'negativeone'. I caved in and just asked someone for the answer.

Although this still bothers me. Take a look at these two sites:

http://jersey.uoregon.edu/vlab/elements/Elements.html

http://chemistry.bd.psu.edu/jircitano/periodic4.html

They yield completely different information. Which is correct?

The "emission spectra of carbon, oxygen, silicon, and neon" comes from the latter.

Edited by Wintersong

that's just annoying. They just said "wrong" when I wrote "negative one". Just because I had a space. And what's wrong with "minusone"?

Take a look at the source code of the page. 'No spaces, capitals, or punctuation' has been a rule since the beginning lol

i wouldnt even know how to look at the source code

I wouldn't have expected you to :P, given the nature of the site. Most of the riddles are more than what's directly shown to you.

and it's not exactly difficult to program in several correct answers

What do you mean?

i mean it's testing the way u type it in rather than your intelligence. It also discriminates against those who use the word "minus". the writer of the page could have allowed "minusone" as well, saving a lot of people a lot of time and frustration. Instead, they decided not to bother.

i mean it's testing the way u type it in rather than your intelligence. It also discriminates against those who use the word "minus". the writer of the page could have allowed "minusone" as well, saving a lot of people a lot of time and frustration. Instead, they decided not to bother.

The source code says the answer is eleven letters.

All conditions of the puzzle should be presented openly at the outset, not hidden in code inaccessible to those without a bit of (admittedly trivial) know-how.

Once again, this is the nature of the site :confused:. The point isn't for everything to be given to you straight-out.

Anyway, no need to continue discussion. This has been resolved already.