Some Questions For a Simple Ferrofluid Experiment

guitarace372

Hello all,

I'm a sophomore in highschool and I am planning an experiment with ferrofluids for a science fair next year. In my experiment, I would like to test whether the heat of a ferrofluid affects the size and number of spikes of ferrofluid that is magnetized. I want to put ferrofluids of different temperatures in different tubes. I would then place a magnet beneath the tubes and measure the number of spikes and record their heights. I have some questions though:

1.) What should the tubes be made out of? I would like a medium that is clear and does not block the magnetic field much.

2.) What kind of magnet should I use? I am thinking neodymium perhaps.

3.) Will heating or cooling the ferrofluids hinder their ability to become magnetized in multiple trials?

4.) What exactly does the height or number of spikes display? For example, the strength of the magnetic field.

I was also considering doing a different ferrofluid-related experiment:

Testing the temperature of the medium on the effect of surface temperature. From research I can tell that more spikes means less surface tension.

Or, there is always the possibility of testing the temperature of the magnet.

Thanks in advance! If you can't answer all the questions that is alright. Also tell me if you like the experiment of testing for the surface tension more.

Thanks again.