I Can't Pick

foodchain

Probably an odd question but when you perform a measurement do the physical variables themselves refer to one singular entity? Such as with wave particle duality?

I am confused right now as I am reading up on three different interpretations at this point for hobby only. I cannot define for myself if a quantum or a quanta or the physical observables themselves are to refer to a single thing such as an electron. I mean if quantum theory is to be used to describe the physical universe, such as with the big bang and on, where do quanta come from? Are they to be viewed as single entities, or would it be safer to say that maybe because QM seems to be a fundamental aspect of the universe that its more or less the universe?

I dont want to get hung up on words which is to easy, basically can you say QM exists because its the behavior of the very small, or does QM exist because its how the universe itself is behaving?

Probably an odd question but when you perform a measurement do the physical variables themselves refer to one singular entity? Such as with wave particle duality?

You're right. That is a very confusing question to me. I'm not sure what it is that you have in mind. Let's take it one step at a time. First lets use a solid example and walk through the measuring process. We'll use the double-silt experiment since it is prefect for clarification purposes, especially for the question that you asked.

I am confused right now as I am reading up on three different interpretations at this point for hobby only. I cannot define for myself if a quantum or a quanta or the physical observables themselves are to refer to a single thing such as an electron.

The term quanta is an adjective which tells you that the quantity that it is referring to comes in discrete quantities. Thus you can say that an electron is a quanta. Now consider something that isn't a quanta such as time(I hear that there is some suspicion that this may not be the case but I'm ignoring that). Time is not quantized in that it doesn't come in lumps so one can't use the term quanta to describe it.

I mean if quantum theory is to be used to describe the physical universe, such as with the big bang and on, where do quanta come from?

Nobody knows.

I dont want to get hung up on words which is to easy, basically can you say QM exists because its the behavior of the very small, or does QM exist because its how the universe itself is behaving?

QM is a theory of matter. It exists because some people invented it. QM describes nature. Why nature behaves as it does is a mystery. Edited by swansont
fix quote tag