Of Mice and Mothers

Ms. DNA

(I'm putting this topic in the Biology forum since I don't have a direct link to a news story and in case the conversation turns general.)

There was a news report on ABC tonight that researchers in Japan have created a mouse with two mothers. The report didn't go into detail about how this was done, but it did say that the DNA from one mother was treated to make it look like a male's. (They'd have to do this because genes are expressed differently depending on which parent they come from.) The mouse is now a healthy adult and has had babies "the old-fashioned" way. Reasearchers say this technique can be used to create stem cells for research.

So, what do people think about this? Do you think this technique will ever be used in humans for reproduction? I personally doubt it would replace sex entirely, although female couples might want to reproduce this way. It's a thought-provoking idea, though.

So' date=' what do people think about this? Do you think this technique will ever be used in humans for reproduction? I personally doubt it would replace sex entirely, although female couples might want to reproduce this way. [/quote']

great idea and lots of applauds to them for carrying it out with such success. for the other 2 of your questions, i'd say that given the philosophy or ideology, education and closed-mindedness of the gen pop, this will never fly in humans.

i don't know how things go in uk(various other parts of europe)/australia, but in the states, i've met and worked with so many ignorant and closed minded individuals that it's pathetic. i currently work as a pc tech so i get to talk with people all throughout usa and i'm shocked and amazed by what i'm seeing. it's like we're falling back into the dark ages. on the other hand, ironically, the other great portion of people of similar qualities i met, see and study with are those at my university. :rolleyes:

so if people in their 30's and 40's haven't yet grasped the ability to read or view things past what their bs religious believes tell them, they can't possibly see any good in it, let alone it be used in or on humans.

so if people in their 30's and 40's haven't yet grasped the ability to read or view things past what their bs religious believes tell them, they can't possibly see any good in it, let alone it be used in or on humans.

Actually, admiral, I'm in my 30s--I turn 34 this Wednesday. Hopefully I'm not such an old dog that I can't learn new tricks. ;) I'm personally not a religious person, but I'm not sure what the statistics are regarding religon in my age group.