Definition of chemical

layman77

Probably the simplest question on chemistry you could ask, but why do so many definitions use the word in the very definition itself? You can't use the same word to describe a word! For example, this definition from dictionary.com

chem·i·cal Audio Help /ˈkɛmɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kem-i-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. a substance produced by or used in a chemical process.

2. chemicals, Slang. narcotic or mind-altering drugs or substances.

–adjective

3. of, used in, produced by, or concerned with chemistry or chemicals: a chemical formula; chemical agents.

4. used in chemical warfare: chemical weapons.

Well, yeah, but what's a chemical process? How am I supposed to know what a chemical process is if I can't find out what a chemical is? This assumes you already know what it is.

Strictly speaking, what is the definition of chemical? Is it basically any molecule where the atoms are connected by covalent bonds? Hydrogen Peroxide would be a chemical, Water H20 would be a chemical. But salt, sodium chloride would not be a chemical because it is bonded by an ionic rather than covalent bond, and an Ionic bond doesn't make a molecule, only covalent ones do, nor would atoms connected to each other in a piece of pure iron by sharing electrons be a chemical, for reasons I'm not aware.

Well, in a very general way, everything around you is a chemical. From the glass on your computer screen to the wood in your wall to the plastics in your printer, they are all chemicals.

A chemical is basically a substance. It is matter, it has a definate mass, and it either is or is made up of elements, everything from carbon to oxygen to nitrogen to chlorine.

Is it basically any molecule where the atoms are connected by covalent bonds? Hydrogen Peroxide would be a chemical, Water H20 would be a chemical. But salt, sodium chloride would not be a chemical because it is bonded by an ionic rather than covalent bond, and an Ionic bond doesn't make a molecule, only covalent ones do, nor would atoms connected to each other in a piece of pure iron by sharing electrons be a chemical, for reasons I'm not aware.

Why do you say that ionic substances aren't chemicals? They are made up of elements just like covalent substances, the only difference is that the electronegativities are more extreme in ionic substances, whereas in covalent substances, the electronegativities of the atoms are closer together so they share their electrons. Sodium chloride is definately a chemical, a chemical doesn't have to have covalent bonds at all.

Well, in a very general way, everything around you is a chemical. From the glass on your computer screen to the wood in your wall to the plastics in your printer, they are all chemicals.

A chemical is basically a substance. It is matter, it has a definate mass, and it either is or is made up of elements, everything from carbon to oxygen to nitrogen to chlorine.

Why do you say that ionic substances aren't chemicals? They are made up of elements just like covalent substances, the only difference is that the electronegativities are more extreme in ionic substances, whereas in covalent substances, the electronegativities of the atoms are closer together so they share their electrons. Sodium chloride is definately a chemical, a chemical doesn't have to have covalent bonds at all.

I wasn't really sure if they are chemicals or not, but I was told in science that ionic bonds, by definition do not make a molecule.