Switching to Calc Physics?

Katatonic

I've taken one term of Algebra based Physics, and have considered starting over with the calculus based sequence. However, I've heard you barely use any calculus in the first term (classical mechanics), so would it be just as effective to start in on the calculus physics 2nd term? I'm wanting to switch for a couple reasons:

a) Have a better background/knowledge of "real" physics

b) Have better credentials for applying to graduate schools

c) Calc Physics is a pre-req for Biochemistry (see other thread I made)

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

I am not completely sure but I know there is some calculus used in classical mechanics. Like deriving equations and realizing that velocity is the first derivative of position. But I would suggest you talk to either a professor or counselor because every course is different and they could tell you what would be best.

If the first semester of physics is taught correctly, there is a large, large amount of calculus in the course. It usually isn't hard calculus, but it is many integrals and derivatives. The calculus was invented largely in order to describe physics correctly, even "classical" mechanics is largely founded on calculus-based mathematics.