Interested in a career in science...too late?

kale

Hi first post here.

My only science coursework is that from the postbac (intro bio, chem, organic, physics). It's too late to get a second bachelor's degree for financial reasons.

I'm looking for ideas about how to spend the next year. I am interested in Chemistry and/or Drug Design, and more generally, a career in science. Will any graduate programs in Chemistry or related areas accept applications from people without science degrees? If I took a few science courses this year as a non-degree seeking student (which is cheaper) and volunteered in a lab, could I apply to graduate school?

If I nailed the Chemistry GRE would I be considered for graduate school despite not holding a science degree?

Edited by kale

Generally, if you have some experience in a subject via work then it is quite possible that you could get accepted on an MSc or PhD programme. If you don't have such a background then I would expect them not to accept you. Simply, it would be too much work for you to get to the level they would expect.

As you have done some chemistry courses, the best I can suggest is that you talk to the admissions tutor in the departments you are looking at. However, grad school can be very competitive, especially for funding. Not having a degree would count against you.

There maybe "science courses for non-scientists" out there.

If you want a career in science but lack a degree, then maybe something like a laboratory technician would be more suitable.

It's possible, some graduate programs are quite flexible, but they will likely ask you to take a few undergrad courses. It also depends on your first B.Sc, if you have a baccalaureate in sociology with a GPA below 3.2, you're not likely to be accepted (even in sociology, in fact).

If you had the equivalent of a minor in chemistry with a very good GPA (in the 3.5+ range), I'm sure you could be accepted in some universities. But again, it depends on the programs, some are very rigid.

I hope you'll find a way, science require a lot of work but it's truly rewarding.