Question about an experiment (plz help!!)

hitmankratos

Hi!

I mixed two diffrent liquids (we don't know what they're made of- Lets call them X and Y), there is a chemical reaction that occurs. Bubbles appear and the temperture increases. The thing is that 25ml of liquid x + 25 of liquid y won't give us 50ml but 48ml instead.

Now for the how this happens (PLease correct me): the atoms composing the molecules will get seperated and will mix with other atoms from diffrent molecules creating that way, new substances. Now for the missing 2ml, (correct me again) I thought that gaz atoms (like hydrogen) that got seperated will simpily fly away - OR MAYBE - 2 atoms will make a gaz subbstance and that is why there is a loss of gaz.

Am I right? Please corrrect me.

I also have another question.

When I weigh each of the two substances, it gives 0,98gr\ml for substance X and 0,584gr\ml for substance y. When I mix 25ml+25ml it is supposed to give 39,1grams for 50ml.

When I weigh the mix, I get 43 grams for 48ml (not 50 since there is that loss)

I am lost!

How come? For 50ml it is 39,1 and for 48ml it is 43gram.

I thought that maybe a new formed substance weighs more...is that possible?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Now for the how this happens (PLease correct me): the atoms composing the molecules will get seperated and will mix with other atoms from diffrent molecules creating that way, new substances. Now for the missing 2ml, (correct me again) I thought that gaz atoms (like hydrogen) that got seperated will simpily fly away - OR MAYBE - 2 atoms will make a gaz subbstance and that is why there is a loss of gaz.

Am I right? Please corrrect me.

Yes, it's perfectly possible that some of the liquids turned into gas (the bubbles you saw) and left the container. Some of the mass of the liquids flew away into the room's atmosphere.

Yeah ok. But is it a gaz atom that instanly went to the atmosphere, or was it an atom that mixed with an other atom - creating a molecule - that flew away into the room's atmosphere?

Or is it just impossible to know without knowing the composure of the solution?

And how about my mass problem?

I don't think you would be able to tell unless you know what the chemicals you're mixing are.

As for the mass problem: Your new substance can't magically weigh more unless it's reacted with the air and captured some air molecules that make it heavier.