all of the above plus a floppy drive

Things that show up in "my computer":

Floppy

cdrw

dvd

33.4gb hdd

74.5gb hdd

115gb hdd

I'm confused. where is my freshly installed 500gb hard drive?

Google "48 bit LBA" and look through the results. Your BIOS will need to support 48 bit Logical Block Addressing and you may have to configure you edition of Windows for it as well. What sizes does your BIOS report that the drives are?

The bios reports all the correct sizes. i should note that all of the accessible drives have information stored on them already, none of them are the 500gb drive. They somehow fit into the two smaller drives, which have been in my computer for some time now. I dont remember exactly how i partitioned them : P

the thing that really gets me is that the 74 gb drive disappeared for some time. i think the 33 and the 115 are the same drive, partitioned from the 160gb drive and then the 74 is the 80g. I actually think i made a post about this before. i was having an issue where the files on the 80g periodically switched between being accessible and not. It has been inaccessible for several months now, but when i installed the 500 gb drive it showed up again and is working fine. programs run and everything. (and im sure i havent just confused the physical drives. the 80g is ata and the 500 is sata, and fresh out of the box for that matter)