Alcohols

frosch45

I'm wondering the difference between isopropyl (spell?) alcohol and ethyl alcohol. Obvioulsy they have different chemical formulas and different applications....

But I was wondering if using isopropyl alcohol in an ethyl alcohol lamp would be bad? I don't want to ruin the equipment or anything, i'm guessing that I wouldn't, but does one burn hotter than the other?

thanks

Nope, only ethanol will work. Or at least isopropanol won't work. It doesn't burn hot enough and often goes out on it's own. Won't ruin anything using isoprpanol so feel free to try it out. Denatured ethanol will work fine as well. Just doesn't work. Ask me how i know: weeks of frustration, i spent so long trying to get a damn alcohol burner to work!!! Didn't realize that isopropyl alcohol wouldn't work.

chemkid

its not because it doesn't burn hot enough, but because it is not as volatile. fuelling something designed for highly(higher at least) volatile fuels will not work with fuels of lower volatility and vice versa.

same thing as putting diesel in a petrol car.