Effects of basic solution on photosynthesis

navrajs

Hello,

I have (hopefully) a fairly straightforward question for you guys: what is the effect of a basic solution on photosynthesis? I've read through

http://biology-online.org/articles/ecological_alarm_oceans_turning.html and, form my understanding, an increase of carbon dioxide dissolved in water makes it more acidic. But, what if we were to go the other way? What effect would that have on photosynthesis? Is that measurable?

Now, suppose I have sort of regular garden plant that likes a pH from 5-7. What if, instead of watering it with water (pH 7) but with, let's say, a Barium Hydroxide solution or Sodium Hydroxide solution (with a pH of 10), how would that effect the photosynthetic ability of the plant? I've been searching around on the 'net but there seems to be more info on acidic solutions rather that basic ones. Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses.

Regards,

Nav

Well, I do know there are many plant species that like to have basic soil around them.

But a more important point is maybe, how badly damaged will the plant's roots/leaves be damaged if this very basic solution comes in contactwith it? The plant may get destroyed enough so that it can't draw anymore water or other nutrients, making it hard to live besides trying to perform photosynthesis.

Thank you for the response. Hmm, I'd like to test this. What sort of plant do you recommend trying this out on? Thanks in advance.

One that you won't shed any tears if it dies :eek: And increase the acidity/alkalinity slowly, so it has time to adapt.

I thought that the pH effects were more with the root system than with photosynthesis itself. It would be quite odd if you could change the entire plant's pH by how you water it.

I thought that the pH effects were more with the root system than with photosynthesis itself. It would be quite odd if you could change the entire plant's pH by how you water it.

That's probably the case, basic solution that the plant draws from its roots to reach the location of photosynthesis would most likely be weakened by the time it gets there.

So the only way to really see how basic solution affects photosynthesis, I guess, involves apply it to the leaves - which wouldn't be very good for them.

• 2 weeks later...