Please help with pre-processed concentrate.

dale_wilson

Background:

This pre-processed concentrate is from a mixed of oxide and sulphide ore, from a mining processing company. The readings are % per tone of concentrate.

I used an NITON XLt XRF and got these readings.

Nb – 0.103, Zr – 0.012, Cu – 9.38, Pb – 7.28, Zn – 0.103,

Fe – 7.34, Mn – 0.070, Ti – 0.684, Ag – 0.063, Mo – 0.002,

Au – 0.020, Co – 0.062, Pt – 0.075

Other materials were below readable levels.

I experimented the following:

COPPER

1. I mixed the concentrate with sodium chloride 1:1 ratio then heated to 644 degree Fahrenheit or 340 degree Celsius, for 2 hours.

2. I then filter it through water, but I was only able to extract 50% of the copper.

Question #1: Is there a better way to extract the copper from the concentrate to get near 99% extraction?

3. I was going to direct electroplate the copper from the solution with 15% sulfuric acid, to get 99.99% pure copper.

Question #1: Would it be better to running it through an SX plant?

Question #2: Can I use reverse osmosis to clean the 15% sulfuric acid, back to clean the water and reuse the water again?

LEAD

1. After letting the concentrate dry. I was going to mix 10 – 12% coconut carbon with the dried concentrate then heat it up to 360 – 368 degree Celsius to extract 99.99% pure lead.

Question #1: How long do I heated for?

Question #2: Is that the proper mixture for the coconut carbon?

SILVER

1. After the lead process. I was going to mix Borax – sodium tetraborate - Na2B4O7, Silicon dioxide - SiO2, and Sodium fluoride – NaF and heat it up 1,000 degree Celsius to extract 99.99% pure silver

Question #1: What % mixture from each chemical is needed per tone of concentrate?

Question #1: How long do I heated for?

I would like to extract the Pt, Ti and Fe, but I do not know how.

From the reading of Mn, Co and Nb are they high enough in % per tone to try and extract it?

Is there a better way to separate then the way I am doing it?

Thank you so much ahead of time.

Sincerely yours,

Dale Wilson

dale_wilson69@hotmail.com

This just might work for getting the iron out. I would remove lead and copper first, though:

First, you would need to seperate the iron metal from the oxides/sulfides in the mix. Heating sulfides in air give you an oxide and SO2:

4FeS + 7O2 --> 2Fe2O3 + 4SO2

4FeS2 + 11O2 --> 2Fe2O3 + 8SO2

Heating the oxides with carbon give you the metal:

Fe2O3 + 3C --> 2Fe + 3CO

Heating the iron in CO gives you the volatile liquid iron carbonyl:

Fe + 5CO --> Fe(CO)5

At 250 celsius, the iron carbonyl (in a gaseous state) breaks down:

Fe(CO)5 --> Fe + 5CO

I would do research on this as I'm not really sure if it will work:-)

If I'm wrong, please somebody tell me.

The method for the lead you have is good. The carbon will seperate lead from the oxide. Also, lead melts at 327 celsius, so it would be easy to seperate at 360 celsius.

I'm not sure about copper. I don't really know a whole lot about extracting metals :)