Different learner

notelpmis

Hi everybody.

For a long time I kind of perceived myself as a relatively dumb person as I often had pretty big problems learning math in school - and some other subjects too. I eventually dropped the school altogether and started learning computer programming on my own (and I've learned more of it than I would've in any standard school).

But, some time ago, I discovered that I'm mostly a visual-spatial learner. and my learning problems seem to (mainly) come from the fact that I have hard time with the standard linear learning style which is used in schools. I need to see the big picture of things first, I think mostly in pictures and/or associations/symbols between things, and I have this somewhat unusual animosity against 'redundant' stuff. For example, I often use the Simple English Wikipedia when I research new things because it gives me the big picture more easily and I can grasp new concepts much more naturally this way.

I also often have either a complete understanding of a concept or no understanding at all - and this can really make me look & feel as a dumb sometimes.

Now I'm going to need to teach myself some math (trigonometry for starters), and I was wondering if there are similar learners around here, who could suggest some good math books or online material that fits well for my learning style (I'm mainly looking for math resources, but please post any other related material too!).

Thanks.