Wetlands restoration will produce an unstable Mississippi River?

Wetlandsmiss

LA Speaks Draft Master Plan will not work because a river environmental disaster will occur with the plan as proposed

A shipping terminal has fallen in the river in the past (1974-75? near Plaquemine, La.) from high velocity water but I am sure the terminal was designed to meet government regulations with respect to piling depth...etc. After this event several diversions were added to the river and this has added piling undercutting capability to the river due to added velocity. Adding more diversions in the future may be the straw that breaks the back and, I believe, more shipping terminals will fall into the river. There should not be any added diversions that increases river velocities except for diversions close to the mouth of the river. Diversions close to the mouth of the river essentially do not increase river velocities and do not decrease the resistance of the river. But any diversions above the mouth of the river decrease the resistance of the river by creating a parallel run with the river. This parallel run starts at the point of the river diversion and continues downstream to the Gulf. These added diversions will decrease the downstream resistance and river velocity north of the diversion will be higher than before the diversions are added.

"A combination for shipping terminals to fall into the river"

I believe there is nothing that can be done to stop the added erosion power of the river from undermining shipping pilings. Also I believe, grading, armoring the river bank with stone, and installing concrete matt on the river bank will not stop the erosive power of the river, from higher velocities, undermining the levee at peak meander points. And this undermining of the levee will send a destructive tidal wave into Southeast Louisiana.

The Mississippi River Master Plan diversions will only work if:

• All future diversions are close to the mouth of the Mississippi River.

• Or the total flow of the bird foot delta area is decreased by the added upstream diversion flows.

A magnitude example of possible diversions

The Third Delta Conveyance Channel may well destroy Southeast Louisiana because the levee above Donaldsonville, Louisiana will be undermined. Higher river velocities above Donaldsonville will be generated by the Conveyance Channel flow because the flow will decrease the river resistance below Donaldsonville. These higher velocities will undermine peak meander points of the river above Donaldsonville and in turn the levee will be undermined and collapse sending a tidal wave south.

Please see below article that shows stream channelization increase flow velocity.

I believe one can safely conclude:

• Stream channelization reduces the resistance of a stream and this is why the stream has faster velocities.

• For the Mississippi River, approximate 1/3 of the river diverted by the Third Delta Conveyance channel will reduce the resistance of the river and as a result the velocity and the erosive power of the river upstream of the diversion will increase.

…Because overall stream behavior is maintained in dynamic equilibrium, changes in one of several variables such as flow, velocity, or streambed substrate will result in compensating changes in the other variables. Channelization and armoring (rip-rapping) of a stream section will cause permanent changes, removing the dynamic nature of not only the altered section, but also affecting the adjoining stream sections further downstream than might initially be anticipated. Stream channelization often increases stream velocity, thereby increasing the erosive power of the stream. Durable protection or armoring is then required to ensure the stability of the engineered modification through all flow events….

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/KalamazooNRDA/documents/IChap_8.pdf

Page 5

http://www.freewebs.com/wetlandsmiss/index.htm

Area the tidal wave will cover.

http://members.cox.net/wetlandsrst/Tidal%20wave.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/wetlandsmiss/index.htm

Split Delta Conveyance Channels for East and West of the Mississippi River

Definitions of words in below information

Longshore transport - sediment transport down the beach (parallel to the shoreline) caused by longshore currents and/or waves approaching obliquely to the shoreline.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/SEAGRANT/bmpm/glossary.html

Bedload - Sediment or other material that slides, rolls, or bounces along a stream or channel bed of flowing water.

http://www.water.ncsu.edu/watershedss/info/rcwp/gloss.html

After Katrina's destruction there is more interest in protecting river parishes and New Orleans by wetlands restoring on the east side of the river. Because Hurricanes turn counterclockwise the east side of the river is where frontline protection should be for paths like Katrina thus a large mass of land is needed on this side of the river for a buffer zone. I believe the attached Northeast Conveyance Channel demonstrates the quickest and most substantial way to generate this buffer zone. Attached below is a link to the Split Delta Conveyance Channels. The Split Delta Conveyance Channels are composed of an east channel called ’Northeast Delta Conveyance Channel' and a west channel 'Northwest Delta Conveyance Channel'.

Note: The Northeast Delta Conveyance Channel Barrier encompasses the Chandeleur Islands protecting the islands from storms and in return protects Southeast Louisiana.

Links to Split Delta Conveyance Channel

http://members.cox.net/wetlandsrst/sd.doc

Reviewing some details about large diversions:

If a large diversion is placed on the east side of the river much of the settlement will be lost in the Gulf. It is known that longshore transport will bring settlement to the coast but an important question is how much of the diversion ends up on the coast? Bedload will stay at the floor of the diversion outlet and probably will not drift to coast areas. Much of the other settlement carried by the river velocity will also settle out shortly after slowing to Gulf water velocities and may move to the coast by longshore transport. But other actions of gulf storms, in the past, removed this longshore settlement and brought it back to the Gulf. A good example is the present bird foot delta which is delivering settlement along the Louisiana east coast up to the State of Mississippi. Longshore transport is happening but not building the coast and the Louisiana coast is disappearing. I believe the coast will only build in the vicinity of where a large diversion is located with some larger area building from longshore transport. The next settlement to be brought to the coast is a very light settlement and much may stay in the slow Gulf waters eventually moving further east or into the Gulf. Also there is a net positive flow of rain water to flush settlement out from the coast to the Gulf.

Geotubes, as shown in the Split Delta Conveyance Channels Plan, will trap all settlement including bedload, large/small sands, and light muds. These settlements will be in the quiet slow moving area between the Louisiana coast and geotubes. This will give time for capture of essentially all settlement thus quickly building the coast with large masses of land. Small outlets along the geotubes will allow some settlement to escape to the Gulf and this is good because of support given to the Gulf side of the geotubes by settlement. Also the outlets will allow sea life to travel between the geotube area and the Gulf. Finally the Northeast Channel will flow around the northern portion of the Chandeleur Islands move east to form a New Lobe. Please excuse my 'results' link of the Northeast delta for the large displayed New Lobe. The lobe will be much smaller but my drawing tools are not too accurate.

Results Northeast Conveyance Channel

http://members.cox.net/pfsfst/Rivbar/Results%20of%20Northeast%20Delta%20Conveyance%20Channel.JPG

I'm not an expert on rivers or anything, but I'm not sure why you think that creating river diversions is going to increase the velocity of the river. General fluid dynamics tells us that a single, wide channel offers less resistance to fluids flowing through it, and that increases flow velocity. But multiple, narrower channels increase the resistance to fluids, which would in fact reduce the flow velocity. Now, I'm not sure about this part, so I think the physicists and the like will have to correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that downstream diversions will create a sort of water back up as the river velocity decreases, which will in turn slow the velocity of water even further upstream. If I'm correct, diversions don't necessarily have to be near the mouth of the river in order to be effective.

I'm also a little confused about your quote about stream channelization increasing flow velocity. I went to the link you provided for it, and it seems to me that stream channelization and river diversion are two different things. River diversion is the creation of a new channel leading off the river; stream channelization involves changing the shoreline of a stream. From what I understand, the article you linked to says that by reinforcing a stream shoreline, you are essentially making it very steep, to the point of being completely vertical in some cases. This removes the gradual slope of shore to stream bed, a slope that adds resistance to the water flow and different environmental niches required for aquatic life. Which makes sense. But river diversions aren't necessarily going to be channeled, so they aren't necessarily going to have a flow velocity greater than what would be found in a natural river diversion. I looked over the master plan draft a little bit, and it seems that most shoreline reinforcement is going to be along the coast, perpendicular to river flow, and not actually along the rivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Split Delta Conveyance Channels for East and West of the Mississippi River

Definitions of words in below information

Longshore transport - sediment transport down the beach (parallel to the shoreline) caused by longshore currents and/or waves approaching obliquely to the shoreline.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/SEAGRANT/bmpm/glossary.html

Bedload - Sediment or other material that slides, rolls, or bounces along a stream or channel bed of flowing water.

http://www.water.ncsu.edu/watershedss/info/rcwp/gloss.html

After Katrina's destruction*there is more interest in protecting river parishes and New Orleans by*wetlands*restoring on the east*side of the river. Because Hurricanes turn counterclockwise the east side of the river is where*frontline protection should be for*paths like Katrina*thus*a large mass of land is needed on*this side of the river*for*a buffer zone.* I believe the attached Northeast Conveyance Channel demonstrates the quickest and most substantial way to generate this buffer zone.*Attached below is a link to the Split Delta Conveyance Channels. The Split Delta Conveyance Channels*are composed of*an*east channel*called ’Northeast Delta Conveyance Channel' and*a west channel*'Northwest Delta Conveyance Channel'.

Note: The Northeast Delta Conveyance Channel Barrier encompasses the Chandeleur Islands*protecting the islands*from storms and in return*protects Southeast Louisiana.

Links to Split Delta Conveyance Channel

http://members.cox.net/wetlandsrst/sd.doc

Reviewing some details about large diversions:

If a large diversion is placed on the east side of the river much of the settlement will be lost in the Gulf. It is known that longshore transport will bring settlement to the coast*but an important question is how much of the diversion ends up on the coast? Bedload will stay at the floor of the diversion outlet and probably will not drift to coast areas. Much of the other settlement carried by the river velocity*will also settle out shortly after slowing to Gulf water velocities and*may move to the coast by longshore transport. But*other actions of gulf storms, in the past,*removed this longshore settlement and brought*it back to the Gulf. A good example is the*present bird foot delta which is delivering*settlement along*the Louisiana east coast up to the State of Mississippi.*Longshore transport is happening but not building the coast and the Louisiana coast is disappearing. I believe the coast will only build*in the vicinity of where*a large diversion is located with some larger area building from longshore transport. The*next settlement to be brought to the coast*is*a very light settlement*and much*may stay in the slow Gulf waters eventually moving further east or into the Gulf. Also there is a net positive flow of rain water to*flush settlement out from the coast to the Gulf.*

Geotubes, as shown in the Split Delta Conveyance Channels Plan, will trap all settlement including bedload,*large/small sands, and light muds. These settlements will be in*the quiet slow moving area between the*Louisiana*coast*and*geotubes. This will give*time for capture of essentially all*settlement thus quickly building the coast with large masses of*land.*Small outlets along the geotubes will*allow some settlement to escape to the Gulf*and*this is good*because*of support given to the Gulf side of*the geotubes by settlement.*Also the outlets will allow sea life to travel between the*geotube area and the Gulf.*Finally the Northeast Channel will flow*around the northern portion of the Chandeleur Islands*move east*to form a New Lobe. Please excuse my 'results'*link of the Northeast delta for the large displayed New Lobe. The lobe will be much smaller*but my drawing tools are not too accurate.

Results Northeast Conveyance Channel

http://members.cox.net/pfsfst/Rivbar/Results%20of%20Northeast%20Delta%20Conveyance%20Channel.JPG

Wetlandsmiss, your posts appear to be agenda-bashing, rather than inviting discussion. We are a public forum, not a public soapbox.

ABSOULTY NOT

I have posted a scientific based article not a soapbox. Do you have scientific knowledge about the subject? I am a degreed engineer and my calculations are fully scientific and mathematic based. If you do not understand I will be glad to explain any question you may have.

Thanks for reviewing but More knowledge may be needed for your informed input.

Ken

Note: In another forum I have received input from a geologist and he agrees in general with my assessment. Also Richard Wagneer of the Corps in New Orleans has written me and stated the Corps will address this concern when they address the LA Speaks Master Plan. Would you like to see the letter?

Paralith has asked a question and I tried to share another way of understanding the scientific based conclusion agreed with by a Geologist and head of river forums.

Please do review the post which is an inviting discussion.

No one else has posted and I am only posting more details for many to read.

Definition of Bashing. Please share where bashing applies to me. Neither one of the below definitions of bashing apply to me as far as i can see. Do you believe I am sharring intensely critical and/or overly hostile, excessive, or unwarranted criticism? If so then please explain where I have done this.

Bashing: vb, hostile comment directed at a particular individual or group...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/archive/index.php/t-12231.html

...In my opinion, bashing is being intensely critical and/or overly hostile. I think that it is entirely possible to intelligently discuss dislikes of the film without going overboard [bashing]. Others have different opinions...

Bashing may refer to one of the following:

Wikipedia

...The pejorative bashing implies on a subject, group or individual...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing

Response from the CORPS concerning geotubes. I removed my name from the letter.

http://members.cox.net/pfsfst/Rivbar/Corps%20response.jpg

ABSOULTY NOT

I have posted a scientific based article not a soapbox. Do you have scientific knowledge about the subject? I am a degreed engineer and my calculations are fully scientific and mathematic based. If you do not understand I will be glad to explain any question you may have.

Thanks for reviewing but More knowledge may be needed for your informed input.

Ken

Note: In another forum I have received input from a geologist and he agrees in general with my assessment. Also Richard Wagneer of the Corps in New Orleans has written me and stated the Corps will address this concern when they address the LA Speaks Master Plan. Would you like to see the letter?

Paralith has asked a question and I tried to share another way of understanding the scientific based conclusion agreed with by a Geologist and head of river forums.

Please do review the post which is an inviting discussion.

No one else has posted and I am only posting more details for many to read.

Definition of Bashing. Please share where bashing applies to me. Neither one of the below definitions of bashing apply to me as far as i can see. Do you believe I am sharring intensely critical and/or overly hostile, excessive, or unwarranted criticism? If so then please explain where I have done this.

Bashing: vb, hostile comment directed at a particular individual or group...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/archive/index.php/t-12231.html

...In my opinion, bashing is being intensely critical and/or overly hostile. I think that it is entirely possible to intelligently discuss dislikes of the film without going overboard [bashing]. Others have different opinions...

Bashing may refer to one of the following:

Wikipedia

...The pejorative bashing implies on a subject, group or individual...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing

Response from the CORPS concerning geotubes. I removed my name from the letter.

http://members.cox.net/pfsfst/Rivbar/Corps%20response.jpg

Well its geology then and things like bedload. I don’t know about you but I don’t know exactly how someone is to predict the exact reality of the existence of a new river over say a thousand years? I mean what if rainfall averages pick up by a half inch more then normal? What if some building structures are placed all around it in various locations over time? The environmental or total physical reality of such I think is truly hard to absolutely grasp more so in the face of time... Then again I guess one thing constant about human endeavor will be adaptation in the face of change, be it by mother nature or actions we commit. I mean smog for instance, how many people know what happens to smog through the day, or at dusk, its quite amazing actually, smog also does not move that much, that’s why at certain cities it always looks a bit foggy, and if you are not use to it such can give you a soar throat and a burning sensation in your eyeballs.

Well its geology then and things like bedload. I don’t know about you but I don’t know exactly how someone is to predict the exact reality of the existence of a new river over say a thousand years? I mean what if rainfall averages pick up by a half inch more then normal? What if some building structures are placed all around it in various locations over time? The environmental or total physical reality of such I think is truly hard to absolutely grasp more so in the face of time... Then again I guess one thing constant about human endeavor will be adaptation in the face of change, be it by mother nature or actions we commit. I mean smog for instance, how many people know what happens to smog through the day, or at dusk, its quite amazing actually, smog also does not move that much, that’s why at certain cities it always looks a bit foggy, and if you are not use to it such can give you a soar throat and a burning sensation in your eyeballs.

Yes, what you say is true for many situations. This is a different situation. My study is a near perfect study based on actual river velocities and power. My conclusions are almost guaranteed to happen if LA Speaks carry out their plan without taking into account river dynamics. I have discussed this with the Master Plan restoration engineers and I believe they did not consider river dynamics when they came up with their various diversions models. The CORPS has written me and they will model the Master Plan diversions and see what effect the diversions will have on river dynamics.

The reason for me posting is to make the public and the scientific community aware of the grave consequences of the Master Plan. Hopefully others will write their elected officials or the CORPS supporting a plan that minimizes changes in river dynamics.

I live at the worst peak meander point of the river. My Dad's house was in the middle of where the river is now. The Corps has moved the house to prevent it from falling into the river and now the river has a whirlpool the size of a football field 500 feet downstream of the original peak meander point. Increasing the river velocity will almost guarantee another undermining of this peak meander point and if the river is at high stage a tidal wave of massive proportions will drown southeast Louisiana. The distruction will make Katrina distruction pocket change compared to the tidal wave.

Below are two recommendations to minimize changing river dynamics I have proposed to my elected officials, the Master Plan engineers, and the Corps. Hopefully one recommendation is used with the Master Plan.

http://members.cox.net/wetlandsrst/A%20shipping%20terminal%20has%20fallen%20in%20the%20river%20in%20the%20past.doc

...The Mississippi River Master Plan diversions will only work if:

·All future diversions are close to the mouth of the Mississippi River.

·Or the total flow of the bird foot delta area is decreased by the added upstream diversion flows. ...

Thanks again for reviewing.

Ken

• 1 year later...